Hoid's other pseudonyms

Posaune

I was re-reading some warbreaker annotaitons when I noticed this in the chapter 32 annotation

This cameo is so obvious (or, at least, someday it will be) that I almost didn’t use the name Hoid for the character, as I felt it would be too obvious. The first draft had him using another of his favorite pseudonyms. However, in the end, I decided that too many people would be confused (or at least even more confused) if I didn’t use the same name.
This implies hoid has other names he uses. Did brandon keep hoid's other pseudonyms, and if he did, what are they?

EDIT: used full quote instead of quote snippit

Edited by Posaune
Changed code tags to quotes

Please use quote tags for quotes instead of the code tag, as the latter stretches the board and colors text oddly.

As to your question, didn't the Seventeenth Sharders in the WoK prologue have their own name for him? Also, from what we've seen from his Wit persona, he seems to be just fine with using pseudonyms.

Besides, according to the Liar of Partinel sample chapters, his original name isn't even Hoid. ;)

I don't know if this is still one of Hoid's nicknames or if it appears in any of the published novels, but I downloaded the first draft of Warbreaker and found the right bit:

He laughed. “No need to fear,” he said. “My surprises rarely cause bodily harm, at least, not more than once or twice a week.” He waved his hand, and an elderly man with an exaggeratedly long white beard approached.

Siri frowned.

“This is Dust,” Lightsong said. “Master storyteller. I believe you had some questions you wished to ask. . . .”

So if anyone spots a fellow named Dust in the published books...

• 2 years later...

Spoiler from Words of Radiance

I was rereading the parts with Zahel in it to see how obvious it should have been to notice his identity, and I saw a reference to Hoid being called Dust. This is more proof that Zahel is not from Roshar and is, in fact, Vasher from Warbreaker.

Kaladin: Do you know where the King's Wit is?

Zahel: That fool, Dust.  Not here, blessedly.  Why?

Spoiler from Words of Radiance

I was rereading the parts with Zahel in it to see how obvious it should have been to notice his identity, and I saw a reference to Hoid being called Dust. This is more proof that Zahel is not from Roshar and is, in fact, Vasher from Warbreaker.

That makes so much sense now! I thought he was using "Dust" as some obscure curse, but with all this in context it fits perfectly. I am really excited to see how many people are world hoping. SPOILER I hope Jasnah is able to world hop now based on what happened at the end of WOR.

• Chaos locked this topic