People you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley

Voidus

I haven't conducted experiments on lobster, due to the excessive waste in test subjects needed in order to map out the bind points. Also it appears that we have been rafo'd about whether or not Hemalurgy can bring something back from the dead. Additionally we are bakers, and I'm not sure if our facilities are equipped to produce other types of spiked food besides baked goods.

59 minutes ago, MacThorsten said:

Is there still any of the leadership active, or are we all freelance hemalurgists bakers?

I'm always around but the alleys have always been a free place, we don't really have leadership. 

On 11/15/2017 at 0:42 PM, Drake Marshall said:

Our leader is Ruin :ph34r:

Correction: Our founder is Ruin. [Mistborn Era 1 SPOILERS:]

Spoiler

Alas, his former Vessel is currently in the Beyond, and his power is currently enslaved by Sazed, aka Harmony. This is the core reason for our lack of official leadership.

Edit: Realised this is in one of the Community Forums, so I added a spoiler warning and hid the spoiler.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom
Hid the spoilers.

Just now, Drake Marshall said:

Does that make us the sworn enemies of Harmony?

SPOILERS: Mistborn Eras 1 and 2.

Spoiler

I'm not sure. So far he hasn't stopped us from using Hemalurgy. In fact, he uses it himself. So, in some ways, you could say he is also a member.

Also, just because Ruin is our founder, and the Lord Ruler is one of our primary historical figures doesn't mean that Sazed (who opposed them both) can't be on our side. After all, anyone who promotes the use of Hemalurgy is helping us. So if someone person backstabs (or backspikes :ph34r:) another user of Hemalurgy, it doesn't immediately make him our enemy.

So, for now, I'd say that Harmony is on probation until we can figure out if he is promoting the use of Hemalurgy in the Cosmere. I mean, he did get Marsh to give Marasi and Wax the book on Hemalurgy.

So, yea, unsure of that one. Maybe we should make a Poll?

Spoiler

Well, on one hand, he does give information about hemalurgy to people.

On the other hand, he was content to allow hemalurgy to be a forgotten art for all the years prior to that.

He may not want hemalurgy to disappear, but he does certainly seek to limit its use.

Thus, I think we are not sworn enemies of Harmony, but we aren’t really on very good terms with Sazed either.

Now I'm wondering, would you be able to spike a shard holder? Recent research has uncovered the possibility of spiking spren, although not yet the method, so would a shard holder be in the realm of possibility?

Time to start experimenting.

13 minutes ago, kenod said:

Now I'm wondering, would you be able to spike a shard holder? Recent research has uncovered the possibility of spiking spren, although not yet the method, so would a shard holder be in the realm of possibility?

Time to start experimenting.

So, here are my thoughts on the matter: Theoretically, since Spren are Splinters, and Splinters are practically miniature (or in the case of spren, microscopic) Shards, you should be able to do it.

Here are the problems: 
A. Power-level: Good luck spiking a shard. Just saying, spren can't blast you out of existence. Shards can. You would need the help of another shard to contain the shard in the first place.
B. Storage of Power: So, this would depend on what you intend to spike from the Vessel. One of the only useful ones I can think of is their Shard-ness. It might be possible to steal that part of their spiritweb that has to do with their being merged with a Shard. However, there are problems with this part: A. This is a whole different beast from stealing a bond, which means that the mentioned WoB doesn't help much, B. good luck getting a spike big enough to hold that much investiture and C. what would happen to the Shard while you are still getting this massive spike to a new vessel? I suspect that either you'd need to somehow store it in the spike (which would mean that the spike would be so big as to require another shard to manipulate it, or that the Shard just wouldn't have a vessel, and thus risks Splintering itself or going rogue.
C. Part of the WoB on this subject talks about places where Spren are more tangible, and this would be where you would need to be to spike the spren. Is there such a place for a vessel? At least, a place where us mere mortal can reach the shard?

In terms of what to spike from a shard holder, would it be possible for one to spike the investiture from the shard holder? From what I can tell, shards are basically large amounts of investiture with an intent. Would it be possible to spike away the investiture from the shard like one would spike away breaths? Also as a side note, if someone made a big enough nicrosil metalmind, could a shard store all of its power in it?

I think, perhaps, that we'd have to find their main manifestation, as they seem to be spread out over a wide area. That is, they don't seem to have a physical body anymore, more like a physical presence that has been merged with the rest of creation. So the main manifestation of this could be their perpendicularities. If we can spike one of those with something the size of a railroad tie, or even larger, then theoretically we could steal recruit a large amount of their power for our exploitation experimentation.

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERY MATERIALS FOR A NEW-ISH SANDERSON NOVEL THAT SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS

Spoiler

But it is possible, I believe, to steal a divine attribute. I'll try to give no spoilers, and there is nothing confirmed thus far, but I think we might see a small-scale example of this in a relatively new Sanderson work.

8 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

I think, perhaps, that we'd have to find their main manifestation, as they seem to be spread out over a wide area. That is, they don't seem to have a physical body anymore, more like a physical presence that has been merged with the rest of creation. So the main manifestation of this could be their perpendicularities. If we can spike one of those with something the size of a railroad tie, or even larger, then theoretically we could steal recruit a large amount of their power for our exploitation experimentation.

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERY MATERIALS FOR A NEW-ISH SANDERSON NOVEL THAT SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS

Reveal hidden contents

But it is possible, I believe, to steal a divine attribute. I'll try to give no spoilers, and there is nothing confirmed thus far, but I think we might see a small-scale example of this in a relatively new Sanderson work.

Well, using HoA Spoilers, as well as Oathbringer Spoilers:

Spoiler

From Vin's fight with Ati, I think there is a realm where they have a physical, or at least tangible, manifestation. And from the adventure through Shadesmar in Oathbringer, I suspect that this is the CR, since Spren there (who are basically miniature shards, or something similar) are tangible.

2 hours ago, Hunt2man said:

I have a feeling that many attributes present in animals and other beings are spikable.

Make way for the snake people.

On that subject, here are some Mistborn Spoiler based ideas:

Spoiler

Considering how much of an effect spikes can have on a human, as is seen in both Koloss and Inquisitors, I think it's safe to bet we can use spikes to give people venomous fangs.

Edited by Brightlord Maelstrom
I realized that I could make the same point using Mistborn stuff instead of Oathbringer stuff, so to avoid accidentally spoiling Oathbringer for someone, I switched my source.

1 hour ago, Brightlord Maelstrom said:

On that subject, here are some Oathbringer Spoiler-based ideas:

Reveal hidden contents

So, it looks like if someone swallows a gemstone, then Yelig-nar can inhabit them, twisting them into this weird, but extremely powerful, entity that can use all of the surges. Considering how bonding with the Parshendi works, plus this thing with Yelig-nar, it seems like you can change a lot of the physical aspects of who you are through a bond. I suspect that spikes would be able to do any and all of these things, so I wouldn't be surprised if you can use them to get people to grow venomous fangs.

Darn my library for not having Oathbringer yet :(

I'm hoping my library will get it soon.

I opened that spoiler for less than a second, and already regret it.

Edited by Hunt2man