Who are you?

Aminar

I just recently joined, and I'm finishing up a story I'm working on now. I am not going to be submitting it for a while though, because I'm going to do a round of edits after waiting thirty days. That said, I do write short stories occasionally, so keep an eye out.

Personally, I'm an avid sci-fi reader. My picture profile is not a picture of me, it's of Kane from C&C. I enjoy discussing needlessly complex topics, especially if it's a discussion of pure logic.

Looking forward to be a part of this!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.  Just got added to the list so I guess it would be pertinent to introduce myself.

Hi, I'm Ethan, I write fantasy and sci-fi that can't decide if it's innovative or generic.

I like messing round with systematic magic (guess what my biggest draw to Brandon's work is.  Do it, I dare you) and subverting tropes.  I've never written anything longer than a short story in my life, and I've only written a few of them ever.  I have a few motivation issues.

That being said, I have a few cool ideas, and would love to be able to share them with you all if the time ever arises.  Until then, I look forward to reading what you've all written and hopefully giving useful opinions.

• 1 month later...

Hello Excused Readers. I'm really uncomfortable with self-introductions but let's give it a shot anyway.

My real name is Arne (which is ancient Germanic for eagle, guess what my family name translates as) and I'm from Belgium.

I have a lot of interests, the main one being Fantasy fiction. I also read some sci-fi, detective/mystery, and the occasional thriller. I'd love to read the classics (my uncle gave me War and Peace once) but I usually get stuck before I hit fifty pages (thirty if it's a small font).

Next to Brandon Sanderson, I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, Isaac Asimov, Robert Jordan and Deep Purple.

I tend toward elaborate world-building and usually have trouble coming up with engaging stories to place in them. I decided to bite the bullet and just start writing one not too long ago, and I'm guessing 90% of the world-building I did won't ever get into the story, but que sera, sera, right?

Well, here's hoping that writing for RE will teach me to reach a balance.

E.

PS: I'll be using EotFP for naming files, mails, etc., my full username is a bit unwieldy.

Edited by EagleOfTheForestPath

Welcome Arne, great to have you onboard. I'm looking forward to reading some of your stuff. In fact, I see there's a link on your email...

...I read the first one and it definitely didn't stink. I look forward to reading your first submission :)

• 1 month later...

Hey, everyone. I posted in the intro thread but found this one as well :)

I'm Wayne and while I have a handful of short fiction in various anthologies I have yet to break into a professional market. I like Fantasy and SF about equally well, with some horror and mystery thrown in on the side. I'm also an avid comics fan and half my published work has been superhero-related fiction.

I'm currently trying to complete a science fiction novel, and I hope to be able to share some short stories or excerpts with y'all.

I'm also scheduled to go on the next Writing Excuses workshop cruise.

Hey, My name is Dylan, I'm 27, in California, working as a soldier in the Army. I write because it is a way to get away from the real world, and I also have an out of control imagination. If I don't write ideas down, I'll go mad from all the stories and plots circling my brain. 

My favorite author, well, it's a tie, between Tom Clancy and Brandon Sanderson, though I grew up reading the Harry Potter and LOTR series'. Thanks to all of these great authors, I tend to write a bunch of small bits of stories, but haven't had the determination before now to follow anything through. I believe that has changed though. I am currently working on my first actual novel, which is inspired by Tolkien, Sanderson, and Robert Jordan. Though I think even Clancy has gotten his influence in there a bit. I have about 54 thousand words so far, but I have paused to do editing and revision before I get too carried away and loose track of the story.

My favorite books so far are Rainbow Six, Stormlight Archives, and A Hard Rain Fell, followed by the rest of Sanderson's books, as well as LOTR, Potter, and Wheel of Time series. 

Welcome, Ghando. Yeah, hope to see you submitting soon (no pressure though, hanging out is cool too!).

We're a friendly bunch, happy to read anything, anytime, and always comment from a place of mutual respect and helping (I hope) to help see the wood from the trees.

Good luck with the editing, but finishing is good too. That often is harder to do than going back :)

Hello, I'm Alfa.

Alfa is short for Alexander Fabel, I'm 21, half-german and half-russian and as far as I know I have ancestors all over Eurаsia between France and Mongolia. [Curiously, my grandmother was a von Losberg, so I am likely a distant descendat of the von Losberg who fought against Washington.]
Anyway. English is my third language, and I was pretty bad at it until recently; only during University it started to improve. Reading Excuses is my first attempt to write in english on my own initiative so let's see what comes out.

I am currently living in Berlin, where I also lived for the past six years. Previously I lived near Munich and before that near St. Petersburg. I study Economics and work in a company which focuses on audit, tax consulting and the like; so I am a relatively "boring" person to most of the world. "Secretly" I'm a self-proclaimed nerd. I enjoy to read fantasy (guess why I'm here) and watch science fiction; I play computer games and RPGs like Dungeons&Dragons quite often and I like swordfighting.

Favorite authors include (but are not limitted to) Sanderson, Scott Lynch, Brent Weeks, Michael Scott, the early books of Ralf Isau, probably GRRM and Rothfuss (a little ambivalent about those two); I also admire Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Jordan and Rowling as great milestones of fantasy. In non-fantasy fiction I like Duma, Rainer M. Schröder, David Mitchell, Adam Fawer, Frank Schätzing and quite a good bit of others.

I'll try with a somehow experimental Fantasy/SF (mostly SF) story with the working title Demiurge; I never wrote anything in that particular style in English, and not much in German.

Edited by Alfa

15 hours ago, Alfa said:

I also admire Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Jordan and Rowling as great milestones of fantasy.

Hey, Alfa, great to have you onboard, I look forward to reading your stuff. Really interesting intro, it will be good to have another distinctive voice on the forum!

Your line above did make me splutter. Harry Potter as a great milestones of fantasy - lol. I can see we may be going to have some interesting debates!! :)   I think JKR could consider herself VERY lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as the other three!

10 minutes ago, Robinski said:

JKR could consider herself VERY lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as the other three!

Agreed! In a hundred years from now, no one will be reading HP anymore...but I'm afraid Millenials' childhood perspectives of great literature were ruined by the HP craze...

Anyway, now that I'm done carping on JKR...

Herzlichen willkomen, Alfa! Ich hoeffe dass, wir deine Geschichte bald lesen koennen! :) Die Leute hier haben unterschiediche Meinungen aber sie sind alle sehr freundlich.

3 hours ago, Robinski said:

Hey, Alfa, great to have you onboard, I look forward to reading your stuff. Really interesting intro, it will be good to have another distinctive voice on the forum!

Your line above did make me splutter. Harry Potter as a great milestones of fantasy - lol. I can see we may be going to have some interesting debates!! :)   I think JKR could consider herself VERY lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as the other three!

3 hours ago, krystalynn03 said:

Agreed! In a hundred years from now, no one will be reading HP anymore...but I'm afraid Millenials' childhood perspectives of great literature were ruined by the HP craze...

Anyway, now that I'm done carping on JKR...

Herzlichen willkomen, Alfa! Ich hoeffe dass, wir deine Geschichte bald lesen koennen! :) Die Leute hier haben unterschiediche Meinungen aber sie sind alle sehr freundlich.

First and foremost, thanks for the kind welcome.
Second and almost as important, thanks for giving me reason for getting into a discussion.
Third, and also important, I need to say some things in defence of JKR. While being an author of well-above-average skill, of course she's not as great as the other masters who were named there. Her accomplishment, which lead me to name her a milestone of fantasy is of another sort: she made fantasy "socially accepted"  far more than it ever was before. People reading fantasy before Harry Potter were often dismissed as not reading real literature, whatever real means (JRRT still beats more than 95% of the authors of his time). After Harry Potter fantasy lost a lot of it's reputation of being a thing strictly reserved for people to dreamy for the real world. That is a real accomplishment, something none of the other great minds of fantasy had manaed to accomplish. And this accomplishment I admire.