where can I find all the Cosmere short stories?

navybrandt

I've read all the main Cosmere book - Stormlight Archive, Mistborn, Warbreaker, Elantris/Emperor's Soul.  What are all the other possible books/stories out there and where can I get them?  Even if they aren't cannon, I'm interested.

Sorry if this is in another topic, but I didn't want to read anything else in this subforum for fear of spoilers.

In anthologies. Which is why I haven't read any of them. Anthologies are exspensive and libraries don't get too many in general. There are also a bunch of short story/bonus material things in the library section of Brandon's site. Oh, and Firstborn/defending Elysium is really hard to get anywhere but brandon's store, but as it's not cosmere I don't know how interested in that you'd be.

The other released cosmere stories (all canon) are Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk. Shadows is available in the anthology Dangerous Women by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, Sixth is in the Writing Excuses anthology.

I agree that anthologies are expensive, so what I do is buy the ebook (I normally buy hard copies) and just read the whole thing to make it worth the money. They are usually a good way to sample new authors as well.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

Well:

-the Writing Excuses Anthology has Sixth of the Dusk

-Hope of Elantris can be found on Brandon's page 

-a new Jasnah scene is available on both the front page here, and on Tor as well (set between WoR and book 3)

-two whole novels can be made available by simply e-mailing the man himself. They're both great

-"Shadows for Silence..." is in Dangerous Women

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I can't think of what. Anyway, there you go :) I'm sure someone else will figure out what I'm forgetting.

In anthologies. Which is why I haven't read any of them. Anthologies are exspensive and libraries don't get too many in general. There are also a bunch of short story/bonus material things in the library section of Brandon's site. Oh, and Firstborn/defending Elysium is really hard to get anywhere but brandon's store, but as it's not cosmere I don't know how interested in that you'd be.

You can find the anthologies on #bookz if you're fine with reading on your monitor or an e-book.That's how I was able to read them. I'm poor and am not going to spend money on an anthology when I personally only care to read one story out of it but I also already own the Mistborn trilogy, signed AoL hardcover, Warbreaker, and both SA hardcovers so I've definitely placed Invested currency into the main Cosmere stories.

Thanks everybody. I'm not only interested in Cosmere stories, so the other links/recommendations help too. I'll e-mail Brandon about the two books Nait Sabes mentioned. I think it's awesome how connected Brandon is with his readers.

Just remember that those books are not canon.

Don't forget to try your local library - including e-books and inter-library loan. That's where I found the "Dangerous Women" anthology. I figure that, later on, I can always buy the e-book, or maybe even pick up a copy in a used book store in a few years. The only thing I have trouble finding are stories published only in magazines, which so far (thankfully) has not been the case for anything cosmere-related.

Well, I consider myself very privileged to have received an e-mail back from Brandon within 24 hours and got White Sands and Aether of Night :D.  I realize they are rough drafts and not canon but I'm still so excited.  I also bought the two anthologies on Kindle ($10 each).  Now I believe my collection is complete.  I just have a lot of reading to do.  I know what I'm doing tonight after work!  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction everyone.

• 3 months later...

There is also the Mistborn Adventure game. A House of Ashes includes a story in the Mistborn universe although I'm not clear if Brandon Sanderson wrote any of it or merely OK it for release.

In addition to that there is also the Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania story which is partially available on his site and the rest (I think) is included in an expansion to the board game. This entire story I believe is written by Brandon Sanderson himself.

Edited by CocodaMonkey

Given the release of Sixth of the Dusk as an ebook separate from the anthology, can we talk about publishing some of these other awesome stories on their own? After all, there are plenty of us who would rather have just the Brandon story out of the anthology, or who don't want to buy a sourcebook for a game we'll never play.

So why not liberate these stories from their respective prisons-- either as lots of separate releases, or in Brandon-only anthologies? (I'm envisioning TALES FROM THE COSMERE and then BRANDONALIA for the non-Cosmere stuff.)

If you're looking for a cheaper way to get Shadows for Silence, Dangerous Women appears to have been split into paperback releases - found part 3 (the part with Brandon's story) at B&N a couple of days ago for $7.99. Also, When I asked Brandon on facebook a couple of weeks or so back, he said that Shadows would eventually be released by itself, but they have to wait for their anthology contract to run out, and he wasn't sure how long that was. At least 18 months.

• 1 month later...

i've been torn for years about those 2 unpublished books still haven't read them

you can also find the first 2 chapters to the liar of partinel online though i don't remember where. not much there but some hoid stuff

Edited by taveren

Thanks everybody.  I'm not only interested in Cosmere stories, so the other links/recommendations help too.  I'll e-mail Brandon about the two books Nait Sabes mentioned.  I think it's awesome how connected Brandon is with his readers.

If you're interested in non-cosmere short stories, you might also consider the following:

- Firstborn, available on Tor.com

- Defending Elysium, available on Brandon's website

If you want a physical book, you can get both of the above combined into a single book combined with Firstborn from Brandon's website

- Heuristic Algorithm and Reasoning Response Engine from the Armored anthology, edited by John Joseph Adams

- Dreamer, from the Games Creatures Play anthology, edited by Charlaine Harris and Toni L.P. Kelner

- Centrifugal, a story Brandon wrote in 1994 while in high school, found on Brandon's website

- River of Souls, a deleted scene from A Memory of Light, from the Unfettered anthology, edited by Shawn Speakman

- I Hate Dragons, a short story found on Brandon's website

I've read all of these, and thoroughly enjoyed them, although the fact that I'm posting on his fan website indicate that I'm a wee bit biased. There's also the Infinity Blade novellas, which would probably make more sense if you've played the iOS games (the story sequence goes: Game 1 -> Book 1 -> Game 2 -> Book 2 -> Game 3), but I think would stand reasonably well on their own.

Also, for further reference, the library page on his website is a good listing of the various projects he's been involved with, along with some behind the scenes stuff. The annotations are interesting to go through after you've read their respective books.

Edited by Jeremy

• 2 months later...

Hooray! We didn't have to wait 18 months!

http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/shadows-for-silence-now-available-individually-r205

If you're looking for a cheaper way to get Shadows for Silence, Dangerous Women appears to have been split into paperback releases - found part 3 (the part with Brandon's story) at B&N a couple of days ago for $7.99. Also, When I asked Brandon on facebook a couple of weeks or so back, he said that Shadows would eventually be released by itself, but they have to wait for their anthology contract to run out, and he wasn't sure how long that was. At least 18 months.

• Chaos locked this topic