Manchester Signing - August 5, 2014

ChocolateRob

I'm at the Manchester signing in a few hours, I intend to try and record video on my Ipod but we'll see how feasible that is. I'm at least likely to have a very tired arm and skakey footage. I've no deep Cosmere questions to ask but I am curious to know if there are any 'Sweet Polly Olivers' in the Alethi armies (maybe Tarah).

Moved this to its own thread because it is it's own event.

Are you open to suggestions for questions to ask?  Because the Ultimate List is always a good place to look.  Some personal suggestions are:

One of the Honorblades was retrieved by one of the Heralds after they were abandoned, did the Herald go back for *their* honorblade?

What are the Stormfather's feelings with regards to Cultivation?

Shai is a follower of the Unknown God/God Beyond. Is she peculiar in this regard or is it a common belief among the people of MaiPon?

Just got back. There were questions that I was kicking myself for not asking during the signing section (was Kaladin given a spanreed before he left / the above question about prologue and interlude characters) but I did get to ask the Polly Oliver question during the Q&A and I won a RAFO card thanks to Weiry's question - What does the Stormfather think of Cultivation? - He thinks the same as Honor thinks. - Enough of a RAFO answer to merit a card (which I'm keeping, thanks Weiry).

I stood at the back and recorded the whole thing on my Ipod so I'll post the (shakey, my arms were so tired) video later, except of course the memory got full about a minute and a half before he finished reading the Jasnah Shadesmar chapter at the very end. I planned to record the signing section on audio only but obviously couldn't once the memory was full.

There were three readings, I got all of the first two and most of the last. The first was from Shadows of Self, the next Wax and Wayne book (I'd heard it before). The second was part of a story wherein people get superpowers from being ill (not heard a reading before but had heard of the concept), we voted on whether to hear that one or a section from Alcatraz 5 (I'd have been happy with either). The last was a choice between Kaladin's chapter or Jasnah's which was very close but went to Jasnah but as I've said I could not get it all.

Until later

Shame on you, we knew this one already.

No we knew Cultivation's feelings about the Stormfather.  This is completely different :D

And thank you!  Go ahead and keep the card, I don't mind. Is "He thinks the same as Honor thinks" the exact wording or paraphrased?  Thanks again this is a huge help for one of my theories!

I was there as well, but since my train didn't leave until 05:50 I've only just got back home now. I was able to record the audio for it and can provide it if you want, and can tell me the best way to do so (I've not done this before).

I was able to ask a few questions at the signing part as well but I'm really tired right now and some of the answers are quite detailed, so you'll have to wait a bit for me to transcribe them.

Also, my first post  :D.

I was there as well, but since my train didn't leave until 05:50 I've only just got back home now. I was able to record the audio for it and can provide it if you want, and can tell me the best way to do so (I've not done this before).

I was able to ask a few questions at the signing part as well but I'm really tired right now and some of the answers are quite detailed, so you'll have to wait a bit for me to transcribe them.

Welcome! We'd love to see the answers to your questions.

There are a couple of ways you can do it.  Depending on the length you can upload it to a site like Soundcloud or Vocaroo.  Or you could just upload the audiofile to Google Drive (or something similar), people won't be able to stream listen to it but at least it would be shareable.

I think the best bet is to go with Soundcloud, if you can it's the easiest site to use when I'm transcribing (it's player is very wide so it is easier to be precise when going back to listen to the same thing over and over).

And if you want to transcribe it, that's great, but if you'd rather not, I don't mind transcribing stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/blackyeti-1/dm550559

This should hopefully have the recording. I started recording a bit before it started, so you can skip the first minute if you want.

I've also written down the answers to the questions that I asked when he was signing my books, two of them are about White Sand, so I don't think I should copy them here, but the rest of them are as follows:

Q. In Words of Radiance, we have Vasher showing up.  One of his aliases on Nalthis is Kalad, which is very similar to the name of one of the Heralds on Roshar. So I was wondering how far back this connection between him and Roshar goes.

A. It goes pretty far back, in fact I wrote Way of Kings, the 2002 version; he was a main character and was Kaladin’s sword master. I wrote Warbreaker to jump back and write out his back story, so to me Warbreaker actually came after Way of Kings. But the connection goes back pretty far, further than you would first guess.

Q. Did he actually come from Nalthis and not Roshar?

A. I’m not going to actually answer that one… Well I can answer that: yes he does come from Nalthis. It’s pretty obvious that the way that the breath’s working, the reason he moved is because it’s easier to get stormlight than breaths, and stormlight can fuel being a Returned like him. And so yes, he was born on Nalthis. Becoming Returned without being born on Nalthis would be really hard.

Q. Can I ask you about the body of a Shard in the physical realm? About the different states of matter, what determines the state of matter that they are in? Because I’ve read the relevant sections carefully, haven’t noticed much about temperature difference.

A. The idea for me working on this is that they transcend, they permeate everything. They permeate all life on all the realms. And that there are manifestations of them that leak out, and it’s kind of like they appear there in the various states. When you say that you’ve got the gas, you’ve got the liquid, you’ve got the solid: but you’ve also got inside of you, inside of that plant, like they’re everywhere. And so what determines it? In my head it’s just like when some of that power permeates, some of it distils, just like water. There’s some water in the air, there’s some that freezes: that’s temperature. But it’s not always temperature whether it’s in the air, or whether it’s falling. Imagine a spiritual version of humidity, that is influenced by what’s happening on the Spiritual Realm and the Cognitive, and that’s what you get.

Q. Because you’ve talked about alloying the god metals, I was wondering whether you would be able to melt them down as you would with normal metals.

A. If you could distil the god metal: you could distil it out of the mist, that’s theoretically possible.

The Shards' presence in the Physical Realm being explained as a sort of "Spiritual humidity" is actually pretty neat, it's an apt metaphor I think .Distilling lerasium from the mists sounds like an interesting prospect too, but I don't expect Scadrial to have the technology to influence the Spiritual and Cognitive Realms for quite some time.

If you can distill lerasium from the Mists, one wonders at what point the majority of Scadrial becomes Allomancers. Third trilogy? Never? It's also somewhat unlikely to matter at that point, because it's sci-fi and their Investiture-powered spaceships can do way more damage than a Coinshot. Still very cool.

Plus, it's possible that an entire population (especially in a post-industrial age era) of Mistborn would actually be enough to drain Preservation's power pretty heavily, so each individual Mistborn might end up being weaker than people like Vin and Elend, who became Mistborn in a time when their powers were extremely rare.

I've also written down the answers to the questions that I asked when he was signing my books, two of them are about White Sand, so I don't think I should copy them here, but the rest of them are as follows:

Oh...I think you should. :)

Edited by masaru