Future of Wheel of time

.S.A.M.K.M

Well, initially when i started reading WoT, egwene seemed like a pretty good character because she was the general "strong, independent tomboy", but later on she starts getting too over opinionated, and bull headed. She basically just auto assumes "i'm right and everyone else is wrong", which honestly, in my opinion, makes her wholly unfit for any position of leadership. Also, her just abandoning rand to become Aes sedai did sort of irk me, but at the same time, rand pretty well acknowledged they drifted apart, so it wasn't too bad.

This.

I have my own issues with Egwene, but this is the major one. What makes it even worse is that she always ends up on top in the end, despite the flaws in her thinking or what goes wrong, thus affirming her "I'm right" mindset. Basically, I feel as though she has not learned how to fail, and that's a lesson that every character has learned. Rand has definitely learned it. Nynaeve has definitely learned it. Perrin, Moiraine, Siuan, Mat, Thom, Lan, Aviendha, many of the Forsaken, even Elayne - all have had that experience with failure throughout the series, or before it, and it has made them a more complete character.

Egwene hasn't had that. She hasn't had anything she's done go disastrously wrong - and before anyone mentions her getting kidnapped by the Tower, she turned that to her advantage. I'm talking about abject failure, where there is nothing you can do but move on and try to make things better, not turning a disadvantage to your favor. And because she has not experienced this, I feel she is an incomplete character.

I first started noticing it in book 5, I think, when she got pissy at Nynaeve and Elayne for what they were doing in Tel'aran'rhiod, when she was doing the exact same stuff and taking the exact same risks, and getting chewed out by the Wise Ones. Somehow it's okay for her, but not for other people?

I guess what I'm saying, is that I really want to see Egwene fail at something, and fail hard. I like the character, and because I like her, I want this failure. She's come close, but it hasn't happened yet.

She seems poised to fail in her relationship with Gawyn. And that, according to a viewing Min had, could be quite disastrous for her. She also looks about ready to fail by not throwing her whole support behind Rand in the last battle, just because he wants to break the seals before trying again to mend the Bore.

• 3 months later...

I started reading the Wheel of Time when I was in high school around 1997. I have enjoyed the work of Mr. Jordan immensly and was completely sadden by his death and for the future of the books, honestly after I found out that he died I didnt pick up a book that was taken up by Brandon Sanderson. Honestly and I hate to say it but the series just seems to lack Mr. Jordans mannerisms in writing sadly I will finish the series to conclude such an awesome read but I can tell that this was picked up from a Masterpiece of literature to something that seems to just fill the pages. The Wheel of Time is an awesome read up to the death of Mr. Jordan, just doesnt have to same feel to it that it did before. I know most of what Brandon wrote was from notes and stories that Mr. Jordan left behind but the story telling is just not the same for me. Sadly, though Brandon is a good writer, he fails brilliantly in the shadow of Mr. Jordan. As for the future, the story died with Mr. Jordan.

Edited by Lodine

• 5 months later...

I started reading the Wheel of Time when I was in high school around 1997. I have enjoyed the work of Mr. Jordan immensly and was completely sadden by his death and for the future of the books, honestly after I found out that he died I didnt pick up a book that was taken up by Brandon Sanderson. Honestly and I hate to say it but the series just seems to lack Mr. Jordans mannerisms in writing sadly I will finish the series to conclude such an awesome read but I can tell that this was picked up from a Masterpiece of literature to something that seems to just fill the pages. The Wheel of Time is an awesome read up to the death of Mr. Jordan, just doesnt have to same feel to it that it did before. I know most of what Brandon wrote was from notes and stories that Mr. Jordan left behind but the story telling is just not the same for me. Sadly, though Brandon is a good writer, he fails brilliantly in the shadow of Mr. Jordan. As for the future, the story died with Mr. Jordan.

I find I enjoy Sanderson`s writing more. Jordans humour is always disguised in that you aren`t even sure it it is humour or not. Whereas Sanderson isn`t as subtle with the humour he uses which I find more enjoyable. If I actually laugh out loud while reading a book(and have people look at me like a weirdo) then it is a good part and that is something I did more often reading Sanderson`s books than Jordans.

I first started noticing it in book 5, I think, when she got pissy at Nynaeve and Elayne for what they were doing in Tel'aran'rhiod, when she was doing the exact same stuff and taking the exact same risks, and getting chewed out by the Wise Ones. Somehow it's okay for her, but not for other people?

I guess what I'm saying, is that I really want to see Egwene fail at something, and fail hard. I like the character, and because I like her, I want this failure. She's come close, but it hasn't happened yet.

You know my opinion of Egwene better than most people so it comes as no surprise that I can't agree that she's a good character. Realistic, yes; she has flaws common to us all (I'm exercising one of them now in believing I'm right and you're all deluded) but that does not mean I have to like her as a character. Infact I hate her. She's everything in a person that you could find detestable in many others, with no redeeming qualities. If I had to sit listening to her I'd end up dipping her head in water with Air around her ankles.

I dread reading chapters from her perspective because all we get is her arrogant world-view, how everyone should conform to her opinion and estimations, and how she advocates bullying towards people she disagrees with, as long as she's not the victim. As of yet she still has to apologise to Mat for being a horrible cow when he rescued them. She thinks because she can channel that gives her license to solve her problems by tying people up with Air, like a child.

I really hope that on the Fields of Merrilor the supporters she's brought with her see the logic behind Rand's words and oppose her. She wants to oppose the purpose of the Dragon Reborn and prevent the Last Battle, but it's going to happen whether Rand breaks the seals or lets them decay by themselves. Instead she wants to leash him to the Tower like she said was a detestable thing when Elaida tried it. Hmm.

As for the future of WoT, I'm quite content with what we have. Fourteen books is more than most fantasy stories get and from the reviews of advanced readers I'm sure A Memory of Light will tie it up nicely.

Edited by Lyrebon

Yeah I feel like Egwene is an interesting character because of tha tlack of failure, she does piss me off, but I think this meeting at the fields of Merrilor is being set up as a massive abject failure for her, that will become an even bigger failure when it turns out Rand was right and that her lack of support for him leads to his death, but the support of other female channellers makes it succesful and Rand gets a 2nd life somehow (probably Nyneave... she seems like the type)

Yeah I've always hated Egwene, She adds very little except for her strength in the power (which is becoming less and less remarkable as stronger characters take over) and some mysterious charisma which has never gotten through to me. I totally get why people are following Rand, either fear, respect or some combination therof for the DR mostly, but Egwene just acts like a stuck up cow the whole time and yet people somehow agree with her more often despite how flawed her thinking is she just has this huge undeserved sense of entitlement. Anyways rant over. Excited for AMoL and hoping that a certain someone gets what's coming to her at Merrilor

You bring up why do people follow her. Well, you mention she is a stuck up cow, and that is how Aes Sedai as a whole have been presented as being viewed by the poeple. So, it fits that they would follow one of their own.

The thing I don't get is why they follow her at all. She's not fit to lead. She cannot admit that she could be wrong - an egregious fault in a leader that could also be a weakness. Good things seem to happen to her by chance but there's some measure of chaos preceding her success.

I just read the part in Shadow Rising where Rand Portals them to Rhuidean and she starts acting immature and petulant, thinking that she's the most important thing there above He Who Comes With The Dawn and an experienced woman like Moiraine and even Aiel custom. And then she complains about it not being fair that everyone else gets to go to Rhuidean and she's faced with the threat of scrubbing pots. Scrubbing pots! Uh, Egwene, did you not listen when the Wise Ones were saying that some people never returned from Rhuidean, or went mad? Oh yeah, sorry, scrubbing pots, waaaaay worse than death or insanity.

And she even had the audacity to think Rand and Mat needed to grow up because Rand make a joke out of nearly burning himself out (which, given his circumstance, he was fine and therefore had the right to feel relieved).

Light does she infuriate me.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you know that Theoryland actually had to devote an entire thread just to bashing Egwene, so that the others could actually have interesting conversations?

Please, please, please don't become like that here. It gets irritating. I honestly don't care.

I would not like new novels. I do not think anyone other than Brandon could do them well. I would however, like it if they released notes and snippets on what Robert Jordan had already written so we could see what his ideas were for Randland beyond the last battle. It was in my mind the only flaw of the last book that we did not get to see any of the world beyond the battle with the dark one and the immediate aftermath.

Egwene was getting on my nerves too between book 3 to, say, 6 or 7. She grew up a lot after that, and she does a very good job of being an amyrlin.

I join the chorus of those not wanting other books. I would have liked to see the prequel of tam (I like his character a lot: he's one of the few who is reasonable and will persuade people rather than bullying them) but continuing the story would just not be the same. every good story need a good ending.

Also, I prefer sanderson to write the stormlight saga. it has the potential to even surpass the wot in awesomeness.

This.

I have my own issues with Egwene, but this is the major one. What makes it even worse is that she always ends up on top in the end, despite the flaws in her thinking or what goes wrong, thus affirming her "I'm right" mindset. Basically, I feel as though she has not learned how to fail, and that's a lesson that every character has learned. Rand has definitely learned it. Nynaeve has definitely learned it. Perrin, Moiraine, Siuan, Mat, Thom, Lan, Aviendha, many of the Forsaken, even Elayne - all have had that experience with failure throughout the series, or before it, and it has made them a more complete character.

Egwene hasn't had that. She hasn't had anything she's done go disastrously wrong - and before anyone mentions her getting kidnapped by the Tower, she turned that to her advantage. I'm talking about abject failure, where there is nothing you can do but move on and try to make things better, not turning a disadvantage to your favor. And because she has not experienced this, I feel she is an incomplete character.

Totally agree, never really liked Egwene, especially after she joined the Aes Sedai.

I would not like new novels. I do not think anyone other than Brandon could do them well. I would however, like it if they released notes and snippets on what Robert Jordan had already written so we could see what his ideas were for Randland beyond the last battle. It was in my mind the only flaw of the last book that we did not get to see any of the world beyond the battle with the dark one and the immediate aftermath.

I also wouldn't want to see new novels. I'll even go further and say that I wouldn't want to see even Brandon do anymore, although I agree that he would be the only one to do them well. RJ had it in his will that whoever wrote in his world would be subject to getting their kneecaps smashed. He was even leery of having someone finishing WoT, but decided he owed it to his fans to have it finished after he passed. If more novels were written it would be disrespectful to a wonderful man's legacy.

As for the ideas and notes you speak of, I'm sure there's going to be a plethora of information in the Encyclopedia they plan on releasing with RJ's notes and even the two sentences he had written down concerning the Outriggers he planned.

I'm looking forward to a lot of RAFOs being answered!

I'd support the idea of updating the Encyclopedia with stuff from his remaining notes, and then putting WoT to rest. Brandon has mended the hole left by Jordan's death, and done so with incredible skill: he has proven that if he wanted, he could make a living finishing series according to the wishes of deceased authors (a note to Brandon: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do this).

But that job is done; the series is finished. Maybe an Encyclopedia update could cinch off the last loose threads, but after that, they should return Randland to its creator. It has earned its rest as much as Jordan has. Let them sleep.

• 3 years later...
On 3/26/2012 at 3:57 AM, Bunyod said:

If Brandon decides not to write those additional books, I'm pretty certain that there will be people/fans who's gonna be tempted to write them unofficially :)

Fun fact: If TVTropes is to be believed then 

• There exists an interesting phenomenon: a bootleg Expanded Universe, created in the cracks between copyright laws of different countries. An example is the Expanded Universe several Russian fantasy writers created around J. R. R. Tolkien's works: illegal everywhere in the English-speaking world, published officially back in the Motherland. It includes such works as The Black Book Of Arda and Beyond the Dawn.

On 1/28/2013 at 7:25 PM, Millennium said:

I'd support the idea of updating the Encyclopedia with stuff from his remaining notes, and then putting WoT to rest. Brandon has mended the hole left by Jordan's death, and done so with incredible skill: he has proven that if he wanted, he could make a living finishing series according to the wishes of deceased authors (a note to Brandon: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do this).

But that job is done; the series is finished. Maybe an Encyclopedia update could cinch off the last loose threads, but after that, they should return Randland to its creator. It has earned its rest as much as Jordan has. Let them sleep.

Agreed, and also, in my opinion, one of the reasons it turned out this good was because Brandon still had Jordan's notes. From what I have read there are only about 2 sentences of notes for the outrigger novels, so creating a book with it would be fairly hard, if you want to stay true to Jordan at least. I would like to be able to read the notes however.

P.S.
Does it count as necro if it was the person before you doing it?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, a little while ago, I was like, "You know, there's so much more that is obviously going to happen in this world. The Seanchan, what comes of Rand after his resurrection in Moridin's body, his children, Perrin's role as an uber-lord..." So I figured I'd hunt around for fan fic. After the first 50 Asmodean-never-died alt-universe tripe-fests, I gave up. If there's good stuff out there, I'd like to read it, maybe, but I'm just going to have to let someone else hunt it down for me.

9 hours ago, DSC01 said:

Yeah, a little while ago, I was like, "You know, there's so much more that is obviously going to happen in this world. The Seanchan, what comes of Rand after his resurrection in Moridin's body, his children, Perrin's role as an uber-lord..." So I figured I'd hunt around for fan fic. After the first 50 Asmodean-never-died alt-universe tripe-fests, I gave up. If there's good stuff out there, I'd like to read it, maybe, but I'm just going to have to let someone else hunt it down for me.

Maybe this link will help.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanficRecs/TheWheelOfTime

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There may be no true endings to the Wheel of Time but there still are endings and unless Harriet.decides otherwise, it's over. According to Brandon, Robert Jordan was uncomfortable with the idea of other people writing in his universe but wanted the main story finished. Continuing past what he explicitly wanted done would be like exploiting his legacy and the further past AMoL they go, the harder it would be to stop.

In other words, get used to the idea that it's over because Brandon rated it as about a 5% chance that more would be written past the encyclopedia. Six years ago. Nothing has happened since and I don't see that changing at all. Not to mention that fans would likely riot if more WoT work meant that Cosmere books would get pushed back in order to make time to write them. It would be neat to see what RJ had planned for those other works but I suspect most of us are rather more invested in future developments on Roshar, Scadrial, Sel and Nalthis than we are in prequels and continuations to a story that was quite effectively ended.

Now if you want to speculate on what might have happened in the planned outriggers, I think we can make a pretty good guess at it: Tuon, Mat and Min go to Seanchan, kick chull and take names. Mat does outrageous things and Min Sees Things. A certain sheepherder in a new body might make a cameo appearance or he might not. We'll never learn more about Nakomi or the pipe. There you go. :P