Guardians of the Galaxy

Quiver

About to head out to a showing, so thought I'd start the topic before I leave. Anyone seen it yet?

WHAAAT?!? You get to see it now?

pinkie_pie_furious_by_albertojulian-d57r

Nope, I haven't seen it. HOPEFULLY I'll be able to get into a theater and see the rustin' thing before it's too late. The marketing has certainly captured my attention by several light years more than Iron Man III or Thor II did.

I got to see it yesterday, and let me tell you, it is everything you expect it to be and more. It is hilarious. The characters are great. The action is amazing. The effects are killer. The story is engaging. It is extremely heartfelt. Basically everything about the movie is nearly perfect. The audience applauded at least thrice during the movie, as well as at the end. Rest assured, any reservations you have, the movie is excellent in every way.

And now the three-year wait for the sequel.

Edited by GreyPilgrim

I got to see it yesterday, and let me tell you, it is everything you expect it to be and more. It is hilarious. The characters are great. The action is amazing. The effects are killer. The story is engaging. It is extremely heartfelt. Basically everything about the movie is nearly perfect. The audience applauded at least thrice during the movie, as well as at the end. Rest assured, any reservations you have, the movie is excellent in every way.

And now the three-year wait for the sequel.

Seconded!  

We went to see it last night at an 8 PM showing. (What?!  I know, we were surprised they had anything before midnight!)  We laughed throughout the whole thing, the humor was just so well done and well placed.  The action was great, the story good, and I actually got misty eyed at some point (no spoilers, just go see it).  It was a FABULOUS movie. 

And the soundtrack was fun. :)

That was the worst cinema experience of my storming life.

Not the film; the film was wonderful. But when the first twenty minutes are shown as a blur because the projectionist obviously doesn't know how 3D reels work, it sours the experience a little.

That said, the film cheered me right up because, like Pilgrim and Traceria say, it is a fantastic film. The characters were interesting, the acting strong, the story is engaging (sometimes a little obvious, but whatever) and the humour...

Oh god, the humour. Amazing.

And I don't know much about music, but was it just me, or did the main theme of the film sound a little like the Avengers theme? It reminded me of it, before spinning in a different direction. Despite being so removed from Earth, that, and the confirmation of the Tesseract and Aether as Infinity Stones, really did make the film feel like a cohesive part of the MCU.

Same point... Star-Lord seemed to take his cue from Iron Man at some points. The irreverent banter, the possessiveness of his mix tape ("don't touch my stuff") and the scene with him flying, hands to his side, reminded me of Tony. Which isn't a bad thing; Peter is probably the funniest lead since the Iron Man films, and I would love to see him and RDJ bounce off one another.

I won't say it's a perfect film. But it was a very, very good film. I don't want to call it Marvels best, but it is, at the very least, in the upper half if the rankings. Definitely worth seeing, and I might go see it again.

Edited by Quiver

I liked it. A lot. My only problems were little things:

How did they get the Jackson Pollock reference? Why didn't Drax take the 'give a shite' comment literally? Where did the orange paint go? The letter reveal and the godfather reveal felt a little forced.

Favourite moment: Villainous monolNOPE! All of them.

Otherwise, I loved it. The characters were great, the plot made just enough sense, and the effects were incredible. The CGI on Groot and Rocket were very very nice. Be warned: this is not a deep movie exploring real-world issues, and it doesn't try to be that. It sets the bar at 'entertainment', and clears that with flying colours.

9/10 five-pointed gold hemalurgic spikes.

Edited by Swimmingly

I saw it with my family, including two of my little siblings. When I cracked up at the Jackson Pollock joke, they just looked at me strangely. 

To be honest, I'm still really surprised Marvel let James Gunn put that in. And happy.

I saw it with my family, including two of my little siblings. When I cracked up at the Jackson Pollock joke, they just looked at me strangely. 

To be honest, I'm still really surprised Marvel let James Gunn put that in. And happy.

For things like that, I think folks (makers of movies, tv shows, particularly ones that will have an audience that crosses many generations) have realized how important it is to layer their humor.  Because I apparently can't write a post this morning without mentioning My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I'm going to relate a short story to illustrate.  We watched an episode of this show with four adults in the room and one 3-year-old.  The 3-year-old was giggling uncontrollably at things that we only smiled at, and we were laughing uproariously at the jokes/references that only an older audience would get.  I think they definitely made this movie with that kind of thing in mind.  The humor just hits all the different types, levels, and age groups.  :)

That was a fantastic film. When I wasn't laughin' I was groovin' and when I wasn't doing either of those I was yelling for someone Ronan to spike people cheering.

I'd see it again.

42 out of 43 towels. (let's see who get that reference)

I saw it the other day almost on a whim, and I agree with all previous posts that it is an excellent movie. What really struck me was the use of the mix tape to provide music that's intrinsically linked to the plot and characterization, and that the music was played only when it was playing in the movie and with perfect timing in regards to the plot.

All that said, I did notice a few discontinuities, such as the one with Drax's literal interpretation that Swimmingly mentioned. They were easily forgivable in light of the movie as a whole, however.

Fitting with the theme of odd rating systems:

Two emerald broams, a sapphire mark, twelve ruby chips, and a garnet chip out of five sapphire marks.

• 4 months later...

Finally got round to seeing it.

Can I just say that I absolutely love Groot? He's just the cutest thing ever. With the lights, giving the flower to the little girl, those sad eyes.......guys, I think I'm in love with a tree. Not sure if this is a problem.

and the dancing in the credits. Baby Groot dancing and being self-conscious of being watched by Mr. Parshendi :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: (who I was totally expecting to go stormform at the end there)   

At first I found it kinda hard to keep up with the all the jargon and names of peoples and places, should probably see it again sometime.

As previously mentioned here, the soundtrack as the mix tape was really interesting, very different from the usual cinematic soundtracks of most sci-fi's, plus in the very beginning when he goes dancing through the ruins, that was hilarious :)

Not quite sure though, how if Peter was abducted at like 7 or so, how come he knows so many earth references, but makes no reference to any galaxy-wide culture?

Edit: OMG They're Kholins

1735208-men_on_a_mission.jpg

Edited by Delightful

Not quite sure though, how if Peter was abducted at like 7 or so, how come he knows so many earth references, but makes no reference to any galaxy-wide culture

Oh! Oh! I have a theory on that!

So, I haven't seen the film in a while, so this might not be all that accurate... but I don't recall people making all that many Earth references. He had the mix-tape, the troll dolls, and the Footloose running gag... but I don't recall much beyond that. He just tended to use a handful of tricks a lot.

My take on it is that it's a coping mechanism for him. He lost his mom, and his planet- meaning his entire family and all his friends- in a single night. He has baggage and trauma, which is why he was so hung up on the getting the mix-tape back; it's symbolic. Earth is important, so he holds onto that culture as best he can... but it's a 7-year olds view of what that culture is, so it's not especially deep or knowledgable.

Also, the stuff he focuses on the most- like the mix tape and Footloose- are things which not only tie him to his planet, but to his mother. I don't think Peter ever really got over his mothers death, so it makes sense for him to hang on- even if it's forced- to the stuff he associates with her.

Finally got round to seeing it.

Can I just say that I absolutely love Groot? He's just the cutest thing ever. With the lights, giving the flower to the little girl, those sad eyes.......guys, I think I'm in love with a tree. Not sure if this is a problem.

Just for you, Delightful:

Groot T-Shirts: Vincent Van Groot, Oh Grootmas Tree, Alforably Celtic, Groove vs Zombies (I have the last one).

• 3 weeks later...