Origin of Member Titles

Kobold King

I saw Observer advocating the creation of a thread entirely devoted to Member Titles, so here it is.

But what are these mysterious lines of text that appear above profile pictures? Where do they come from? Who uses them, and who reads them?

This, ladies and gentlemen, is where you point out the brilliance of your member titles. If you've been waiting for someone to comment on how apt your title is... here is the place! Don't be shy, we'd love to hear all about it.

I'll start. My title is and probably always will be "Barking Mad." I heard the phrase on a behind-the-scenes featurette for Doctor Who, in which the head writer of the show characterized the star Matt Smith as "barking mad" in real life. It made me laugh, and it stuck out in my head. Nowadays, I feel it sums up my general personality as well as the average content of my posts here.

Now it's your turn. Yes, you.

Me! You really are doing a good job of Identifying people today Kobold ;):)

Mine is BhaalSpawn, Sith god, T.A.S.T.Y., Head Scholar of NC, Baron

Just a list of all of the titles or allegiances that I lay claim to on these forums.

Mine is EVERYTHING I LEARN JUST OPENS UP NEW QUESTIONS.

-

I chose it because of one of my first threads I made, about compatibility and interactions between the magic systems of the Cosmere. Every time someone answered one of my questions or acknowledged one of my theories, it was replaced with one or more questions. Such as: If an Allomancer burned Stormlight for a long time, using flared Pewter to keep their bodies from ripping apart from the Stormlight, could they ascend to Shard status like Vin does with the mists? What about Breath? Could an Allomancer become a mini-Endowment by burning like 50,000 Breaths Allomantically? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Me! You really are doing a good job of Identifying people today Kobold ;):)

Mine is BhaalSpawn, Sith god, T.A.S.T.Y., Head Scholar of NC, Baron

Just a list of all of the titles or allegiances that I lay claim to on these forums.

Nice list of titles. And yes, I take pleasure in my ability to accurately identify the identities of other users. I do a pretty good job, wouldn't you say QuiteLeftinch?

I feel your pain. I tried making theories when I first got here, but every time other people just came along and blew my mind so thoroughly that I forgot the original significance of my theory. :P

I had trouble with a small case of dyslexia (undiagnosed and partially imaginary) when I first read The Way of Kings as well as on these forums when I joined. I kept seeing the word "Shardbearer" and my head translated it to "Shardbear." It's a pretty fun image if anyone ever sat down and got creative with it. Made a joke about someone riding a Shardbear, and how they would easily be the most powerful character in the series. I guess I aspire to be that man.

Gotta say, I've never really looked around at those before. They are grey and incognito, so I glide right over them. Good topic!

Edited by Bloodfalcon

Well, looks like I'm de-lurking from a thread I myself inspired. II thought of the idea because I change my user-title with each new rank I attain, and most of them are either dumb jokes or references to past threads. As an artifabrian I was a Shardtank manufacturer, because in the Cosmere Zombies thread I talked about powering a tank with Stomlight and using murder-holes to cut down sneaky zombies. As of writing this my title is Speaker of the Vast Hoax to match my rep title of Cryptic. It's a reference to Homestuck, where the legendary Genesis Frog is known as the Speaker of the Vast Croak, and various other, unrelated things are known by variations thereof. 

It's actually pretty nice knowing the origin behind some of these titles. A few of you are kind of baffling. 

I think I found mine in the Description section of a Chrono Cross OST video. Besides, I'm butt lazy, and coming up with witty phrases is too much work, so I just gave that job to you. Handy, huh?

I'll start. My title is and probably always will be "Barking Mad." I heard the phrase on a behind-the-scenes featurette for Doctor Who, in which the head writer of the show characterized the star Matt Smith as "barking mad" in real life. It made me laugh, and it stuck out in my head. Nowadays, I feel it sums up my general personality as well as the average content of my posts here.

I love that yours is Doctor Who related!

Mine is a reference to an Andrew Bird song called "Tables and Chairs" which is kind of like a silly animals at a carnival/apocalyptic version of the end of Fahrenheit 451.  At least, that's how I envision it with aid of the album artwork. :lol:  The lyrics are below.

Tables and Chairs

if we can call them friends then we can call them on their telephones

and they won't pretend that they're too busy or that they're not alone

and if we can call them friends then we can call

holler at them down these hallowed halls

just don't let the human factor fail to be a factor

at all

don't, don't you worry, about the atmosphere 

or any sudden pressure change

cause i know

that it's starting to get warm in here

and things are starting to get strange

and did you, did you see how all of our friends were there

and they're drinking roses from the can?

and how, how i wish i, i had talked to them, 

and i wish they fit into the plan

and we were tired of being mild

we were so tired of being mild

and we were tired...

i know we're going to meet some day 

in the crumbled financial institutions of this land

there will be tables and chairs

there'll be pony rides and dancing bears

there'll even be a band

cause listen, after the fall there will be no more countries

no currencies at all, we're gonna live on our wits

we're gonna throw away survival kits, 

trade butterfly-knives for adderal

and that's not all

ooh-ooh, there will be snacks there will

there will be snacks, there will be snacks.

and we were tired of being mild,

we were so tired of being mild,

and we were (we were so) tired...

so don't you, 

don't you worry

about the atmosphere.

On my livejournal, which is mostly friend-locked so I never actually bother to share the link, I've changed all the links and headings to be references to Andrew Bird song lyrics, so figured I might as well carry this over to the 17th Shard forums!  I really wanted to reference the kittens part of the line "we let the kittens lick our hair and drank our chalky lemonade" from another of his songs called "Masterfade," but was having a hard time making it a title that didn't sound overly creepy.   :unsure:

I had thought of the same trick Observer did; I was going to change my title and avatar to something different reflecting each rank, albeit it each rank 'ponified' since that's my thing these days.

I started when I hit the Highprince rank, so I named myself the Highprince of Ponies and changed my NyanArrow avatar to a king from the MLP comics. I decided to stick with it though when I got upvoted through Truthless too fast; I couldn't find a decent Assassins Creed Ponyvatar to be 'The Pony in White'.

The first is a title given to me by my enemies.(It's hard not to laugh when you're enjoying a good fight)

The second came is an accusation from my friends that I'm not really a person(closer to the truth than you'd think), but in fact a Madness spren that exists to confuse and confound them.

Well… I don't know anyone who doesn't like honest-to-goodness macaroni and cheese. And I like the way that the word ellipsis sounds… And the way that, in practice, it portrays a relatively hesitant manner.

-

I chose it because of one of my first threads I made, about compatibility and interactions between the magic systems of the Cosmere. Every time someone answered one of my questions or acknowledged one of my theories, it was replaced with one or more questions. Such as: If an Allomancer burned Stormlight for a long time, using flared Pewter to keep their bodies from ripping apart from the Stormlight, could they ascend to Shard status like Vin does with the mists? What about Breath? Could an Allomancer become a mini-Endowment by burning like 50,000 Breaths Allomantically? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Yes, I totally agree with this sentiment. That's what happens when one does science. Too bad we don't have a Cosmere-lab. Breaths would be very expensive to purchase, though… 
Edited by Curiosity

Back in the days of TWG, I and a fellow TWG-er (sortitus) were voted as the Hero of Ages (or co-Heroes of Ages, in this case). We decided that since Ruin and Preservation were taken, we would create two new shards: Irony and Discord. I was Irony's holder; sort was Discord's. Even when we were impeached as Heroes, they never took away our shards. Hence, I still hold Irony. :)

Mine's a mix: High Imperial from the Spook language, which I think is awesome, and Princess of the Newcago Court is from Social Clans with Elsa Steelheart. But also High Imperial sounds royal, so it makes me sound like a High Imperial Princess. A bit of a stuffy title, perhaps, but it's fun :D

(also, little wilson, I love your title.)