Axies the Collector?

Flywinged

So I just finished a reread of tWoK and WoR and it occurred to me how little information is given on Axies the Collector. He has his own interlude in the first book where we learn:

1. He's Aimian

2. He's a scholar documenting spren

3. He goes to jail a lot (presumably while searching for spren)

4. His shadow points the wrong way (like Jasnah's)

5. He can write on his own skin (or rather make his skin write on his skin, if that makes sense)

6. From the two interludes he appears in, he seems to have a good sense of humor, or at least is optimistic

I've been trying to speculate his purpose, I mean obviously he is documenting spren, but I'm trying to figure out how he will play into the rest of the SA. He not only appeared in tWoK, but as the Aimian who was captured on the Reshi Island Greatshell from the Rysn interlude in WoR. I feel like Brandon would only have included this if Axies turned out to play some sort of role in the series.

That being said, I have no idea what his role could be. Hopefully others might be able to shed some more light on his role.

Also, I've been thinking about his ability to change the markings on his skin at will; also, his shadow points the wrong way, which indicates a strong connection to shadesmar (as shown through Jasnah, or at least that's the public consensus). So my theory is, like soulcasting, Axies is able to change what his body thinks of itself through shadesmar and can thus change the markings on his skin. In essence, he would have a very strong ability to control what his mind thinks in the cognitive realm.

All this is just speculation, but I would love to hear more information and theories from others about Axies. He's a huge enigma in my mind and I can't help but think he's going to play a major role at some point in the SA.

I think we have WoB that like the Parshendi the Aimian are natives to Roshar, as for why they can do the Markings thing it could be a cognitive thing but then they'd be able to do some cooler stuff like self heal too, I think it's just biological, like Octopuses can I think.
As for his role I'm not convinced he'll have one, Brandon does also like making cameo's sometimes it seems just so that people will notice. That said if he does turn out to have a major role, I tip my spikes to you!

Yeah, Brandon stated plainly that the Interlude characters (less the recurring ones) don't really need to be remembered, they are just used as a tool to build the world or provide insight into developments in other places. If Axies does have a role, I think he's going to meet up with the couple that was working on documenting spren traits and they are going to actually make some good progress. But he doesn't necessarily have to have a future roll at all. 

I am inclined to think that he will provide some crucial information at some point in the first arc (something on the order of what happened with Sazed in HoA where the source of the information did not have a particularly major role in the lives of the main characters outside of this information).  What that information might be I have no idea.

I am inclined to think that he will provide some crucial information at some point in the first arc (something on the order of what happened with Sazed in HoA where the source of the information did not have a particularly major role in the lives of the main characters outside of this information).  What that information might be I have no idea.

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe he won't even get any screen time. But I just have this feeling he's going to play a role, most likely by giving information dealing with his spren studies.

Yeah, Brandon stated plainly that the Interlude characters (less the recurring ones) don't really need to be remembered, they are just used as a tool to build the world or provide insight into developments in other places. If Axies does have a role, I think he's going to meet up with the couple that was working on documenting spren traits and they are going to actually make some good progress. But he doesn't necessarily have to have a future roll at all. 

I do think the most likely place for him is meeting up with the ardent couple, but he still strikes me as someone who can't be easily forgotten. there's something else to him. He was one of the few interlude characters that showed up in both published books (although he didn't have a chapter in WoR, he was still present). Rysn being one of the other ones I can think of off the top of my head.

his purpose could also simply be to add depth to the woorldbuilding by putting in some explanations about spren, and provide some comical relief.

Or even just if there's going to be an Aiman become part of the main story Brandon might have just introduced him so that we all know what they are.

his purpose could also simply be to add depth to the woorldbuilding by putting in some explanations about spren, and provide some comical relief.

Or even just if there's going to be an Aiman become part of the main story Brandon might have just introduced him so that we all know what they are.

Yeah, this is possible. The main point of this thread though was to figure out what we know about Aimians as a whole, through what we know about Axies. Although I guess its fine to debate his importance to the plot, I'm more interested in what Aimians are.

We know their homeland was scoured, and they're almost people of myth to the people of Roshar, or at least in Iri (Way of Kings, interlude-5). But I don't know why this happened, or the scope of powers Aimians have. The changing of body parts is also pretty cool, and we don't know how they do that. (Axies sculpts his nose so he doesn't have to smell the trash while in the alleyway with the beggar). Anyway, I'm looking for more facts and theories about Aimians in general, because those are very scarce at the moment and they seem like very interesting people.

It seems as if Aimians are more Cognitively integrated and aware by nature. They can change their appearances (like Returned, that's a Cognitive function) and they have Shadesmar-shadows. Just a note.

Edit: Does anyone else get Axies mixed up with the other Collector from Marvel Comics?

Edited by Curiosity

• 4 weeks later...

Didnt one of Navani's helpers mention a study of spren in WoR? Maybe he will get another chapter

That was Rushu, and she did mention a study.  It wasn't done by Axies though, but by Geranid who was one of the other Interludes from WoK.

I was wondering what would happen if Axies took some of his skin notes on a Nahel bonded spren.  It may lock them to a certain size and shape, which could be unfortunate for the surgebinder involved if they were relying on their spren to use certain abilities. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I hope he travels to Urithiru to study the Radiants and their spren. It would be fully in character for him, and he would have chance to interact more with the main characters. 

I think he will have some kind of role. Aimians are clearly special, and I dont think Brandon would have them there just to show worldbuilding. They must have some part to play in the plot, and it is fully possible that Axies will be our main one. Just look:

-He is funny, and has a nice personality.

-He is interested in spren, and can help with plot points surrounding them.

-He has appeared in both books, and is the only Aimian we have seen.

So, I'd say Axies is more than a throwaway worldbuilding character. He probably has a bigger purpose than that.

On 7/21/2016 at 1:17 PM, Kolten said:

Also Axies was able to concentrate a bit and get rid of his hangover. So that shows he has at least some self healing ability.

Not to mention the fact that he feels an only very mild relief that he could move his toes, implying that his back had been broken and healed from probably numerous times in the past (not to mention that his drinking companions had beaten him to what they likely presumed was death, though he showed no signs of injury after); I find it quite likely that, similar to kandra, Aimians are very hard to kill.

Edited by Three1415

12 minutes ago, Three1415 said:

Aimians are very hard to kill.

I think they may be killed like everyone else, but if they are awake they may be "shape their body and remove wound and other harmful effects". They still need to active change their structure. Probably you may just hit in the head (or when they fall a sleep) and kill like other being.

• Chaos locked this topic