My first time

Swifftalon

First Sanderson?  

1240 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your first Sanderson book/series?

• Mistborn (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages)
    • Stormlight (the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance)
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • The Rithmatist
    • Steelheart
    • Legion
    • The Emperors Soul
    • Other?

Multiple friends were pressuring me to read The Stormlight Archives. I was enthralled after reading the incredibly epic prelude to Way of Kings. I haven't been able to put his material down since! It has gotten to the point where I have read all of the major titles and am trying to soak up all of the short stories. It's a good thing he puts out a ton of material so often! Cant wait for Oathbringer!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I think I saw Elantris first. My brother had it, and I was like, what's this? I didn't read it, and I also checked out and started reading Mistborn first, but I didn't finish it. The first one I finished was actually SA, then Mistborn, then Warbreaker, Elantris, and MBE2. They're all incredible, and it seems like he puts more work into each world than most writers (cough, Rowling, cough). Not Tolkien, though. Tolkien spend seventeen years trying to make every detail of Middle Earth absolutely perfect.

I technically listened to a teacher read my class Alcatraz a long time ago. I didn't read another until way later when I read Steelheart, which got me hooked on Sanderson so I marked that

Edit- I forgot I had posted this, but I thought about it for a while and posted my updated and detailed version of the story. I should probably have voted Alcatraz. Whoops

Edited by The Gecko

I was lurking around some certain "Not A Blog" in a hope for some book news, when GRRM just recommended different authors and their stuff to read. One was Sanderson with his new Mistborn book. I gave it a try. Finished that one fast. I'm not sure if WoA was out already, then it was in quick succession Elantris, Warbraker, WoK. Somehow i managed to get my friend on the train so we experience together reading, rereading, exploring and waiting for new books to come out :) When i run out of Brandons books i gave a try to  Wheel of Time series... 

I read Alcatraz series and tried Firefighter but somehow i don't find them so capturing as Cosmere universe.

Let's see.... well, I read Wheel of Time before even hearing about him. Then someone suggested Mistborn, realizing that it was the same author who had finished WoT. I had liked the last few books better than the rest of the series due to the pacing, so I decided to take a look. To be perfectly honest, I ended up skipping a large portion of the first Mistborn, only reading it after completing The Well of Ascension. I loved books 2 and 3, so I looked for more Sanderson books. I found Way of Kings and Words of Radiance, and read those. At this point I hadn't realized the cosmere existed. I then read Elantris, and in my reading online after finishing it heard of the Cosmere. I immediately read Warbreaker and every page on the Coppermind. Then I noticed I actually owned The Cosmere Compendium, and had set it aside because I headn't read the books by the author. I read that, then eagerly awaited Oathbringer. I finished it withing a week of it coming out, and here we are now.

Elantris. I was in a bookstore trying to pick the third book for the 3 for 2 sale. I was looking through the random books and ended up with Elantris as I liked the description the most. I didn't know a thing about Sanderson back then, so I like to think the winds of destiny were involved there :D

First post, yay. 

I first heard about Sanderson when he got to finish Wheel of Time, which he did so well. The gathering storm is one of my favorite books! After reading that I devoured every book he had published. Definitely one of the best writers in a long time

Most of what I have to say is covered in my introductory post above. However I would like to add some things.

When I first read Alcatraz, there were only four books, so the series ended on something of a cliffhanger. In addition, the strange style of writing was confusing and discouraging (and the covers didn't help). Re-reading it again, a few years later I liked it much better (and the new illustrations are also much better).

My first cosmere book was (I think) Mistborn, although I read almost all these books at around the same time. For some reason I had got it into my head Stormlight Archive was going to be a series of shorter books. Then I saw book two on a shelf at my school. That theory was ground into the dust. I have liked the series so far, however.

Finally, the magic systems. Brandon Sanderson's magic systems are some of the most detailed, ordered, and just straight-up awesome I have ever seen. There isn't a one where I feel like the way magic works changes halfway through the book (a lot of fantasy series suffer from that ailment) 

The first time I read Alcatraz, I didn't particularly like the story (like I said above). But what I did love was the magic.

Right now I am eagerly waiting the release of Skyward, and very glad I didn't get hooked on any other author, given the comments made on publishing speed.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend that I met in one of my engineering classes at school was talking about books with me one day. After hearing we liked similar things, I recommended that he read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (which you should all read too if you haven't). He in turn recommended that I read Way of Kings. Not wanting to buy something that I wasn't sure I would enjoy (yes, I was so naive) I went looking for it at the city library. I couldn't find it but I did come across the short story, Perfect State. I read that and really enjoyed it and from there went to the Reckoners series, which I also really liked. Eventually Way of Kings became available and that is when I really fell in love.

Edited by AC12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had stopped reading fantasy a long time ago (when I had finished all of Moorcocks books which I still love.) I got to know Brandon Sanderson through writing excuses. That made me wana read something of his. Especially the idea of the cosmere appealed to me (it remained me of Moorcocks multiversum). 

I first read Mistborn Final Empire. I was skeptical at first. I read the annotations for each chapter. That made me appreciate it more. By the end I loved it. Then I read Elantris and then Way of Kings then I finished the Mistborn trilogy. By that time I was in love with the world of the cosmere. 

I started reading WoT back in High School but for some reason never caught up. PIcked it up a few years later just as Brandon finished the series, I really enjoyed WoT, but in some ways Brandon saved the series for me. Loved the last 3 books so much that shortly after finishing I started getting my hands on everything Brandon Sanderson and the rest is history.

The first time I heard of Sanderson was when I was in college 6 years ago trying to sell plasma. I was almost passing out and the tech was talking to me helping me stay conscious. He asked what kind of books I liked and when I said fantasy he said I HAD to check out this book called Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson because it was amazing with a really cool in-depth magic.

I think it took me another couple months to get around to finding a copy but IT WAS THE COOLEST BOOK I'D EVER READ!! I really loved how scientific the magic was. I read everything he'd published up to that point (Hero of Ages I think?). Over time I got more and more into being a BranSanFan and I've read almost everything he's written. My favorite is all the cosmere behind the scenes.

He's seriously the best writer in my opinion. I find myself comparing all other books I read to his style of writing. And I think his books just keep getting better and better.

• 3 weeks later...

I did post on here before, but it was really short and just blech. It was also one of my first posts, so... Yeah...

It all started a little more than a year ago. I was chatting with @LionTale_Writer, and she told me about Sanderson. I just kinda went, "Oh, that's nice," then went on with life. A few weeks later, my family was up in Twin Falls, or Idaho Falls, can't remember, and we went into a B&N. Where Brandon was having a signing. I was like, "Oh. [Insert @LionTale_Writer's name here] really likes his books. Cool." I went past the super long line, (it was longer than the one at the signing in Provo. We only waited an hour, and we were fifth in line!) and saw that this one book I had really liked head a sequel. Then we left.

When I next talked to her, I told her about the signing. She said all her books were signed. And she had met him several times. I just kinda went "Blech."

Then we went to Salt Lake, and went to the Gateway mall. We went into the B&N there, and I saw the SA on display at the end of one of the bookshelves. So, why not? I got a mass market paperback copy of tWoK. It was April 19. I found the recite in my bag a few weeks ago. I still have it. :ph34r:

I read tWoK over the course of three weeks. When I got to school the next Monday, I saw @Cel reading it too! Then the day I finished it, I checked out the library's copy of WoR. I read it in eight days. 

Now, I own 24 of his books. (I have multiple copies of each tWoK and WoR. Why not)? I went to a signing two weeks ago, and got (I feel kinda bad about this) fifteen books signed. I'm on my sixth reread of tWoK, I've read WoR five times, and OB twice. I consider myself a bit of an expert on Roshar. 

Most people here heard about Sanderson by reading tWoT. I heard about tWoT by reading Sanderson. I am going to start reading tGH once I'm done with tBoM and the Two Towers. 

I swear, his books have changed my life.

And sorry for such a long post. I had a lot to say.

• 3 weeks later...

I found Brandon while reading The Wheel of Time series so book 12.  I had no idea who he was once WOT was complete.  I wanted to try his other books.  So I tried Steelheart which I didn' like (sorry).  Then Mistborn the library did not have the second book so I skipped to Way of the King which was almost above me.  I was hooked about 2/3 into it.  I never gave up.  So I then read book 2 then waited with everyone for book 3 in November.   The flash backs were hard on me but eventually I made it thur.  My next Sanderson novel was Elantris.   I love Hoid and I love Brandon.  I have many books still to go.  My fear is I'll be old and very gray before the series is complete.   Anyway I'm pretty new to the Commerce.

Welcome.   Glad I found this group of like minded people and theory discussions.

• 2 weeks later...

I found Mistborn in the library and read the Ars Arcanum at the back. At first I thought that Allomancy had to do with burning the metal and sniffing the magical fumes to get powers, and I thought that was pretty interesting so I started reading and I fell in love (even if I was kind of disappointed by the lack of people getting high off of metal), and now I’m a big fan of all things Sanderson.

I guess technically for me it began with Alcatraz. I was a kid, I stumbled upon it, I loved it. But I was really young and knew next to nothing about this concept called 'seeking out other books written by the same author', so that ended there.

Cut to middle school, where I happened across Mistborn. I remembered hearing somewhere (who knows where) that it was good, so I tried it, loved it, finished the series, and sought out more. After reading everything I possibly could, I just wanted more. It wasn't until high school that I was able to get my hands on Elantris and the Stormlight Archive, but once I did I had officially decided that Brandon was my favorite author.

Some time later, I found 17S. (I think through the Coppermind.) Not too long after that, I got an account. And now here I am.

I was introduced to Brandon Sanderson's works through an ex-boyfriend-of-sorts. We both had a love of fantasy, and he recommended the Mistborn series as a place to start. Though we ended before I made it through the trilogy, I fell in love with the books. I found other friends who also read Sanderson's works, and they encouraged me to delve further into the Cosmere. From Mistborn, I moved on to Way of Kings, Warbreaker, Elantris, and so on. It helped I bought a whole stack of his books at one time because of a book signing a few years ago in Idaho Falls.

Someone first recommended Mistborn to me right around when I graduated from high school. It was just quickly in passing though so I kind of forgot about it for a while. Flash forward 5ish years and I was looking for something new to read and only remembered Mistborn but not the authors name. So once I tried figuring it out. At the same time, my husband had started listening to some Sanderson on a shared library at work. I think it was right after Words of Radiance had been released. So he came home recommending it to me as well. So I basically started with Elantris because it was his first and a standalone. Fast forward nearly another 5 years and I have read nearly everything Sanderson has written and would say he is easily my favorite author. I have so much respect for his writing. If I ever write anything someday I hope it will be even a fraction as good as Sanderson.