Loveable Characters you actually don't care about....

maxal

OK, it is a rainy day, it is cold, I am on vacations so I am pissed I got such crappy weather. I already managed to do the one sense full thing to do on such day: cooking a good spaghetti sauce  :ph34r:  I am running out of ideas. I therefore had the idea of this very light topic. Just for fun.

I was wondering, which is the universally loved (or so you feel) character do you actually do not care about?

Personally, I don't care about Hoid. :ph34r:

There. I have said it. I am not interested by him or his purpose or anything regarding him :ph34r: I do not hate him, I just do not care. I also hate that half the WoB we have talk about Hoid and Hoid and yet again, Hoid.

Sorry. :ph34r:

I also do not care about stick.............. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I know. What an awful person I am.

So what are yours?

In general I don't care nearly as much as others about Stick or Renarin. I just don't see the charisma that other users here seem to have latched onto. I hope that changes with Renarin in the next book, though. His reveal as a KR was the first moment that, after sighing, I gained a genuine interest and curiosity for his character. I don't dislike either, but I don't have the passion that others do. 

To bring a brighter side to this conversation, there are characters that I love that are not generally perceived the way that I read them. Lirin is one of my greatest hopes for the series. Probably because of my personal life experiences, Father/Son relationships are more significant to me than many others, and Lirin has the wisdom and determination that I value in that sort of character. I've seen Brandon write a beautiful father/son scene in another series that gives me high hopes for the potential relationship between two of my favorite SA characters. 

PS. I respect your opinion, but Hoid is fascinating if you consider the implications of nearly any of his actions or use them to piece together what is an undoubtedly significant role in the Cosmere. And he is our best chance at seeing multiple magic systems working together! Alright, alright, I'll stop....

In general I don't care nearly as much as others about Stick or Renarin. I just don't see the charisma that other users here seem to have latched onto. I hope that changes with Renarin in the next book, though. His reveal as a KR was the first moment that, after sighing, I gained a genuine interest and curiosity for his character. I don't dislike either, but I don't have the passion that others do.

I do not get the fandom revolving around Renarin either, but I cannot say I don't care about him, as I do care, a little. I care about his relationship with his brother and with his father, two of my favorite characters. So for this, he does not get a nomination. I am also interested in how he will evolved in the next book. One chapter or two from his perspective would be interesting (like we have with Navani), but I do not wish to see him take over a quarter of the book.

To bring a brighter side to this conversation, there are characters that I love that are not generally perceived the way that I read them. Lirin is one of my greatest hopes for the series. Probably because of my personal life experiences, Father/Son relationships are more significant to me than many others, and Lirin has the wisdom and determination that I value in that sort of character. I've seen Brandon write a beautiful father/son scene in another series that gives me high hopes for the potential relationship between two of my favorite SA characters.

Lirin is alright, but I cannot say he steered a lot of passion from my side. I like him well enough and I do want Kaladin to make peace with his father, but I do not carry hopes for him as a character. His rigidity was annoying and he was not willing to do what he needed to protect his family. Speaking of father/son relationships, I am more interested in seeing how the Dalinar/Adolin relationship will evolve in the next few books, but these two are among my favorites, so.... I am biased.

PS. I respect your opinion, but Hoid is fascinating if you consider the implications of nearly any of his actions or use them to piece together what is an undoubtedly significant role in the Cosmere. And he is our best chance at seeing multiple magic systems working together! Alright, alright, I'll stop....

I know, but I just cannot make myself care. I find him annoying at best. He knows everything and yet he refuses to share, he talks in metaphors, how unnerving. I just do not feel for him. He wouldn't be in the story and I wouldn't mind at all :ph34r:

Edited by maxal

He wouldn't be in the story and I wouldn't mind at all :ph34r:

Right now, I think that is how much impact he is supposed to have on the story. He is supposed to be an extra, a bonus. Just an easter egg for those that are willing to watch out for him, but not much of a distraction for those that know nothing of him.

Later, when he gets his own stories, that will change.

He wouldn't be in the story and I wouldn't mind at all

Right now, I think that is how much impact he is supposed to have on the story. He is supposed to be an extra, a bonus. Just an easter egg for those that are willing to watch out for him, but not much of a distraction for those that know nothing of him.

I like Hoid as Wit, before there was Wit, I didn't think much of Hoid either, but as Wit he's arguably more than an Easter Egg, even if he's only a minor character. But I agree, half of the WoBs seem to be about Hoid, probably because we're curious, and by asking questions about Hoid we can also learn more about the cosmere/investiture (sometimes)...

Personally, I don't especially love Shallan. There's no real rational reason for my dislike, though, when I read WoK I found her dreadful. Now, I just find her...alright. Probably by book five or something I'll actually like her (if she lives that long, I don't trust Sanderson. He once made me like a character I hated forever...then killed her. That's just not nice.) And I also think that Renarin's fandom is a little over the top (though, I like his character, personally), but if we talk about him too much, we'll summon Feather. Do we really want to summon her? :P

Edited by Nymp

Ah... actually, I kind of have to agree about the Renarin verdict. He's a nice character, and I like him, but he just doesn't seize my interest like he has with other readers.

Hoid, on the other hand, is one of my favorite parts of the Cosmere. I love the tingling feeling of cosmic importance you get when you read his parts. In Warbreaker and especially the Stormlight Archive, he just exudes knowledge of the universe and secrets that have no bearing to the transient plots of the novel, but are undoubtedly important to much greater goings-on.

I like Hoid as Wit, before there was Wit, I didn't think much of Hoid either, but as Wit he's arguably more than an Easter Egg, even if he's only a minor character. But I agree, half of the WoBs seem to be about Hoid, probably because we're curious, and by asking questions about Hoid we can also learn more about the cosmere/investiture (sometimes)...

Easter egg or no, I just cannot bring myself to actually care.... Even as Wit, I found him barely interesting. I was bored by his story of Fleet and I just don't care about his flute :ph34r: As for the Cosmere, I find characters such as Vasher and Vivenna a thousand times more interesting then Hoid. Sorry Brandon :(:ph34r:

And I also think that Renarin's fandom is a little over the top (though, I like his character, personally), but if we talk about him too much, we're will summon Feather. Do we really want to summon her? :P

They are quite intense.... I must agree. The strange thing is they only come around whenever someone tries to discuss Renarin :ph34r: So we should probably not discuss Renarin :ph34r:

Kaladin. I didn't find him interesting in WoK and I came close to skipping his parts in WoR. When he killed Syl and then had a little epiphany which brought her back with a power boost for himself, ugh. Worst part of the series.

How dare you? How dare you not like Kaladin? Just joking. This is what this thread is about. Venting. Blowing some steam and admit we are not crazy about certain characters.

Kaladin is my fave :( The little guy sticking it to the man ;)

But when he killed Syl i so saw that coming!

It had to happen sooner or later though, showing the dangerous side of betraying the Oaths.

Shallan gets on my nerves... The first book where she took a shine to the Ardent i was like blehhh then book two where she went all googly eyed over Adolin.. I suspect when she finds out about Kal and Helaran she will get all petty over that. We all know how she refuses to face the facts..Although don't get me wrong she has a few redeeming features.

Adolin im not fond of.. i can see why people like him but he just comes across as a spoiled and cocky.

Moash is in need of a MAJOR chull kicking.

----------------------------------------------------

Anyway bringing light to this dark place..

Mraize - i know he is a bad guy but he has such flare... Can't wait to see more of him!

I love Wit so much he's a man of many layers and secrets. I think of him as the bridge connecting the Cosmere.

Sebarial- a breath of fresh air for the prudish Alethi LOL!

For dramatic effect DIE AMARAM DIE!

Intresting topic- yes on the lighter side for one and i can finally get out my feelings indifference towards Adolin.. Literally when I re-read stormlight I can just skip over his parts.. He is so predictable and at some times hes a genius and other times hes so dimwitted- (like when shallan calling him stupid) its infuriating.. I get hes important, and yes he will probably be even more crucial to the books as they progress but just find it hard to really care too much about him.. That said i do have respect for the father/son relationship- its one of the things I feel Sanderson did very well with Adolin to make him partially believable.

Yes- I know I will get torn up for this one

Edited by Shardmancer

Intresting topic- yes on the lighter side for one and i can finally get out my feelings indifference towards Adolin.. Literally when I re-read stormlight I can just skip over his parts.. He is so predictable and at some times hes a genius and other times hes so dimwitted- (like when shallan calling him stupid) its infuriating.. I get hes important, and yes he will probably be even more crucial to the books as they progress but just find it hard to really care too much about him.. That said i do have respect for the father/son relationship- its one of the things I feel Sanderson did very well with Adolin to make him partially believable.

Yes- I know I will get torn up for this one

You know these reasons are why I adore him  ;)  Just when you think you got him figured out, just when you think he is getting predictable, he goes an do something completely unexpected, crazy and yet amazing. When he is acting dimwitted with Shallan, I figured it was because he's in love and you know people in love do act stupidly, but hey I am not trying to convince you ;) I do love the father/son relationship where the son hero worships his father and where the father puts all his hopes into this son only to see him destroy it all by doing the unspeakable.

Also, this is not the thread to torn down anyone, it is the thread to measure up our perspective and have the guilt-free moment of admitting why we do not care about certain characters. Heck, I don't care about HOID. Everyone cares about Hoid, every single WoB is about Hoid and yet I can't find the energy to care :ph34r: I have also seen a lot of fanart about Hoid and you know what? If I could make a poll of all characters I do not care to see drawn, Hoid would probably make the top of the list :ph34r: Turns out not everyone agrees with me :ph34r:

This is great. People have such different reactions to those characters. It is fun to see everyone's preferences.

Every character ever written by the ever despise-worthy Veronic-oh wait, we're talking about Sanderson characters? Oh...okay. In that case, I hate the Stick fandom for wrecking what was actually a pretty good moment in the book, as much as I love him I think Dalinar has far too much screentime in WoK, and I really didn't care about Tindwyl as a person and only the ways she impacted Sazed.

As usual, I come out of posting and feel like a monster.

Every character ever written by the ever despise-worthy Veronic-oh wait, we're talking about Sanderson characters?

I love you :wub: I so hate Veronica Roth, her insipid trilogy and her awful characters  :ph34r:  Even the worst character in SA does not measure up to any characters from Veronica Roth. You have my upvote for mentioning it. Sorry if there are fans reading this, but these books are really, really, really bad. OK the first one is entertaining enough, but the follow-up is just terrible.

If there is a thread devoted to the Roth hatedom I will post and upvote plentifully.

But back on topic, I'm a pretty enormous Sanderfan (who here isn't?) and don't have a lot of characters I didn't like. Raoden, however, is starting to wind up like this with each re-read. His chapters are the best on the first read just because he's a flattie in a really cool place. Examined as a person, I lose the ability to care about him, but keep the ability to wish him success just because I like the setting and what he's helping it with. It's kind of a roundabout example, but there it is. I like Elantris more than the people in it.

Just stopping by for some quick fact-checking:

Given my Wizard of the Cosmere (the member-title only has room for a certain number of characters, last time I checked) status, I can assure you all that Hoid has neither a plurality nor a majority of WoB's.

Carry on.  B) :P

Edited by Kurkistan

Mraize wasn't really a grabber for me. He was cool, but I found him rather uninteresting. At first Renarin was uninteresting for me, but then I really spent my time hunting after his sections after I'd seen what a huge fanbase he has, and I have to admit, I like him a lot more now. But other than those two, I've liked almost everyone. Yes, I even liked both Kaladin and Shallan at the same time. Gasp!

Nightblood (NB) showing up just about ruined WoR for me. I understand / read somewhere that Mr. Sanderson wrote Warbreaker (in part) as a kind of introduction to Vasher and NB who were/are Stormlight Archive characters.

But I want NB to disappear, and I want Szeth to do it, by running NB through Odium and starting some sort of infinite feedback investiture loop overfilling him resulting in rift in the Cosmere space/time continuum which collapses sucking NB to the far side of the universe, taking stick with him.

A boy can dream.

Just stopping by for some quick fact-checking:

Given my Wizard of the Cosmere (the member-title only has room for a certain number of characters, last time I checked) status, I can assure you all that Hoid has neither a plurality nor a majority of WoB's.

Carry on.  B)  :P

Are you really sure? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Shai and pretty much every other character on Sel. Except for the pessimistic Dulla. I just have such a hard time caring about the characters in that world. I like the stories, magic, and other things in Sel, but the characters always feel really weak to me.

Nightblood (NB) showing up just about ruined WoR for me. I understand / read somewhere that Mr. Sanderson wrote Warbreaker (in part) as a kind of introduction to Vasher and NB who were/are Stormlight Archive characters.

But I want NB to disappear, and I want Szeth to do it, by running NB through Odium and starting some sort of infinite feedback investiture loop overfilling him resulting in rift in the Cosmere space/time continuum which collapses sucking NB to the far side of the universe, taking stick with him.

A boy can dream.

Amen!

Except I have a more optimistic outlook on Nightblood's potential. I just want to see him do more, and I'm hopeful that Zahel will be forced to open up discussion with the good guys on the existence of other worlds and the origin of Nightblood in hopes of reigning in Szeth. Unless of course Szeth finds it in him to be decent..... fat chance. 

I could do with an space/time suck-rift that removes all of my least favorite characters though! I've still never seen an author try that. Anyone know of a book where all of the bad things are just suddenly suck-rifted away?

Almost happens in AMoL. But then Rand decides not to....................

Sazed kind of does at the end of HoA, but you should know that..........

The Neverending Story, kind of not really.....

Chronicles of Narnia

The Lamb Among the Stars trilogy