[SPOILER] Did anyone else get really pissed when you read that Kaladin could have been a Shardbearer?

Hello

When I read that Kaladin could have been a Shardbearer, but decided to give it all away, I got really pissed at the writer who decided to tell us that. It just makes the whole rest of the story pointless, as you know that everything that comes after is just a result of Kaladin's own stupidity. I really hate when writers do these sorts of things, it feels so bloody unnecessary.

Uh... what? Of course he could have been a shard bearer, the only reason he wasn't was because he decided to give the ones he won

Its those kinds actions that really kickstarted his Nahel bond

How far into the Stormlight Archives are you?

I was disappointed initially that it was given to

Moash especially for the hidden agenda of assisting in something dishonorable. And yea it was a facepalm moment to me (and Adolin lol). He deserved it so much but I trusted that he will get something much better down the road.  Eventually Kaladin gets his own personal shardblade(syl) instead of some random shardblade. Actually I was hoping he gets an honorblade which he did eventually. Thought I suspect the honorblade might be given/lent to Adolin to allow him to surgebind (possibly with Kal teaching him & the other windrunners)

He could still use a shardplate though.

Edited by WeiryWriter
expanded spoiler tags

1. Don't get annoyed at a writer for a character's actions, great writers make characters do stupid things.
2. He's not stupid for giving them up, he's standing by his ideals, Shards represent everything that Kal hates about the Lighteyes

Also Kadolin, I'd suggest putting some spoiler tags around that post given the OP, it's not clear if he's talking about WoK or WoR so you might be spoiling it for him.

Edited by Voidus

It sounds like the OP is referring to WoK as he refers to "everything that comes after" being a result of Kaladin's stupidity.  I disagree highly with this.  Kaladin is a very moral character and has really good instincts most of the time.  When the idea of taking the shards that killed all of his friends sickens him, it appeals to that sense of loyalty in us, despite its lack of practicality.  And in the end that serves him well as kadolin pointed out.

I was disappointed initially that it was given to Moash especially for the hidden agenda of assisting in something dishonorable. And yea it was a facepalm moment to me (and Adolin lol). He deserved it so much but I trusted that he will get something much better down the road.

Eventually Kaladin gets his own personal shardblade(syl) instead of some random shardblade. Actually I was hoping he gets an honorblade which he did eventually. Thought I suspect the honorblade might be given/lent to Adolin to allow him to surgebind (possibly with Kal teaching him & the other windrunners)

He could still use a shardplate though.

I feel the same.

I felt bad for Adolin who went to so much trouble to give shards to Kaladin, really thinking it was the best way to thank the man for saving his life only to see his gift being turned down. Strange thing is Adolin did, unknowingly, find the best way to thank Kal: he trusted him about Amaram and for this, I believe Kal is more grateful than for the shards.

I was also pissed Kal decided to give them to give them to Moash of all people! Why not Skar or Teft?

As for Adolin getting the honorblade.... My favorite plot would be Adolin being actually offered the honorblade, but turning it down because he fells he does not deserve it.

More amusing Maxal would be if that act then attracted him his own Honor spren :P

Oh I am sure it will, at some point and I am anxious to read about it. I keep trying to make scenarios in my head on how it could happen... How pathetic of me :ph34r:

I feel the same.

I felt bad for Adolin who went to so much trouble to give shards to Kaladin, really thinking it was the best way to thank the man for saving his life only to see his gift being turned down. Strange thing is Adolin did, unknowingly, find the best way to thank Kal: he trusted him about Amaram and for this, I believe Kal is more grateful than for the shards.

I was also pissed Kal decided to give them to give them to Moash of all people! Why not Skar or Teft?

As for Adolin getting the honorblade.... My favorite plot would be Adolin being actually offered the honorblade, but turning it down because he fells he does not deserve it.

To be fair to Kal, he really couldn´t take it himself that time, thanks to his bond. Lets just hope he bromance works out.

There are reasons for his decision to give the blade to Moash, although most of them are bad ones, so I´m not defending it.

He was, if I remember right, from all the bridegemans the best with a blade, Moash dreamed about getting his hands on Shards and he was the only one Kal considered a proper friend. Granted, it was still a terrible decision, even more so thanks to the whole patriot plot but we know how that worked out.

To be fair to Kal, he really couldn´t take it himself that time, thanks to his bond. Lets just hope he bromance works out.

There are reasons for his decision to give the blade to Moash, although most of them are bad ones, so I´m not defending it.

He was, if I remember right, from all the bridegemans the best with a blade, Moash dreamed about getting his hands on Shards and he was the only one Kal considered a proper friend. Granted, it was still a terrible decision, even more so thanks to the whole patriot plot but we know how that worked out.

I do not blame Kal for refusing the shards, but I do blame him for giving them to Moash. Agree Moash was the best with the sword, but he was a known traitor.

I don't think Adolin was too much offended: he was pretty much a good sport throughout the whole thing. Besides, he had already set his mind to turn into his best buddy as we see later one. However, I am afraid he will find out about what truly happened in the chasm between Kal and Shallan and he will probably feel hurt and betrayed by this. In fact, I think I am really hoping for a Kal and Adolin smash down, you know just to seal their friendship? :ph34r: Long live the bromance :D

On 17thShard that considered a mark of pride not pathetic :D

Oh thanks! But I do feel pathetic sometimes :ph34r: I made myself so many scenarios I am starting to wonder if I'll get deceived by Stones Unhallowed :ph34r:

A bit of a knee jerk to someone getting annoyed at Brandon I'd guess, but you're probably right Leftinch.

Oh thanks! But I do feel pathetic sometimes :ph34r: I made myself so many scenarios I am starting to wonder if I'll get deceived by Stones Unhallowed :ph34r:

Oh I know how that feels, after re reading words of Radiance I was shocked that so many scenes I remembered seemed to be missing, then I remembered I made those scenes up during the long wait between WoK and WoR

Oh I know how that feels, after re reading words of Radiance I was shocked that so many scenes I remembered seemed to be missing, then I remembered I made those scenes up during the long wait between WoK and WoR

Oh and what were those? Can we know?

I am on page 765 on book one, sorry for not specifying. There migh be something that makes up for it later, but the whole year after he didn't take the Shardblade has only been a great pain to Kaladin, with disaster after disaster. It's very frustrating to see that it all could be avoided, if he hadn't been so noble and pathetic, and I don't like getting frustrated when reading books.

Elhokar Soulcasting, Kal getting a Ryshadium, Shen sucking in Stormlight. Ah how I wanted a Parshendi Surgebinder

LOL. You may get your wish with Eshonai  ;)  As for Kal getting a Ryshadium, doubtful as we saw how horseback riding went for him :ph34r:

Now, I want Adolin to get another Ryshadium :( 

I still hold out hope for a Kandra to appear on Roshar so Kal can get a flying Ryshadium. Best not dwell on that too much or I'll be wondering where the pegasus is when I read Stones Unhallowed :P

I still hold out hope for a Kandra to appear on Roshar so Kal can get a flying Ryshadium. Best not dwell on that too much or I'll be wondering where the pegasus is when I read Stones Unhallowed :P

Pegasus? You are even crazier than I am in my speculations...... :ph34r:  Mine mostly turn around the thousand ways Adolin could revived his shardblade... :ph34r:

Kaladin's refusal of the Shardblade was very much justified by the fact that the Shardblade in question killed most of his close friends and he was still somewhat in shock. I get why it's frustrating, though. It was still probably the best choice possible, though there's no way Kaladin could have known at the time.

I am on page 765 on book one, sorry for not specifying. There migh be something that makes up for it later, but the whole year after he didn't take the Shardblade has only been a great pain to Kaladin, with disaster after disaster. It's very frustrating to see that it all could be avoided, if he hadn't been so noble and pathetic, and I don't like getting frustrated when reading books.

Hello Hello!

Giving you an upvote for coming back and clarifying.

To be fair, even Kaladin himself describes his decision to not take the shards as "the stupidest decision anyone ever made" (or words to that effect). His decision is emotionally motivated, not based on cold rational thinking. Heck, it's been a traumatic day...

Also,  he was very naive at that point and expected Amaram to really uphold the standards the man pretended to.

Kaladin's refusal of the Shardblade was very much justified by the fact that the Shardblade in question killed most of his close friends and he was still somewhat in shock. I get why it's frustrating, though. It was still probably the best choice possible, though there's no way Kaladin could have known at the time.

He didn't know, but he had a feeling.

Just like Renarin had a feeling when Adolin gives him a shardblade (I do not believe he had a bond at the time nor that he heard the screaming just yet, I believe this happened at the Jakamav battle on the plain first). Just like Dalinar had a feeling of uneasiness as he bounded Taln's shardblade at the end of WoR.

Another thing I don't understand is why Amaram had to make Kaladin a slave. Why couldn't he just let Kaladin give it to him, instead of killing four men and condemning Kal to this miserable life?

Another thing I don't understand is why Amaram had to make Kaladin a slave. Why couldn't he just let Kaladin give it to him, instead of killing four men and condemning Kal to this miserable life?

Because nobody would believe Kaladin willingly gave it up, Amaram thinks Kaladin would change his mind in a few days, and everyone would believe Amaram stole them. By killing Kal's men and putting him in chains, he saves his reputation and gets the Shardblade at the cost of a few darkeyed soldiers. Amaram is a huge jerk and a huge disappointment.

He didn't know, but he had a feeling.

Just like Renarin had a feeling when Adolin gives him a shardblade (I do not believe he had a bond at the time nor that he heard the screaming just yet, I believe this happened at the Jakamav battle on the plain first). Just like Dalinar had a feeling of uneasiness as he bounded Taln's shardblade at the end of WoR.

It wasn't a very strong feeling, and as a general rule feelings do not tend to be very good reasons for doing things unless you're on a magical world where they do in fact signify doom. As you say, though, it was a very emotional decision to give up the Shardblade, not a logical one. Kaladin's reasons for giving up the Shardblade make sense.

Edited by Moogle