Cognitive Copulation

Oudeis

First and foremost, let me preface by saying that my general impression of this site is that while we may kid sometimes, our humor does not tend towards the crude, so I feel comfortable broaching this topic assuming it will stay as a scholarly discussion and not devolve into something lewd. If I'm proven wrong, I will be the first to petition the Admins to delete the entire thread.

We know a few facts. (I will look up citations when I get a chance, unless someone beats me to it).

1. At least one aspect of your spiritual DNA is determined by where you are born; i.e. if two Rosharans moved to Nalthis and started a family, their children's spiritwebs would be affected by the environment of Nalthis, though we don't know for certain what that would entail.

2. The moment of conception determines certain things about a person's origins.

There is also, in my opinion, strong evidence that Elsecallers can physically enter Shadesmar, though there are MANY major spoilers for WoR to back up my point.

Jasnah is physically gone from the ship after she's been stabbed, and then physically reappears out of nowhere when she shows up in the epilogue, and claims to have been in Shadesmar.

It's also, I believe, widely assumed though I'm not sure I've seen the WoB, that Hoid worldhops by physically entering the cognitive realm.

As such, it's not a preposterous assumption that others might be able to physically enter the Cognitive Realm, too.

Here, then, is my question. What would happen to the spiritweb of someone who was conceived while his parents were in the Cognitive Realm?

The cognitive relam exsist parallel to the other two, so I supose that it would still be the same location, Roshar, Kholinar, whatever on the spiritual level, which is where the S-DNA is determined. The person might get an affinity for the cognitive and abilitys such as Rock´s Spren sight.

That or your child will be a Spren... talk about awkward.

Very interesting thought Outis, and it was just added to my list of things that I'd like the cross-overs to touch on! The Cognitive Realm has some correlation to physical geography, so perhaps its a proximity thing, as in your spiritweb will fill that element in with whichever shardworld is closest?  Or, perhaps in the situation you describe, the person conceived in the Cognitive Realm would have a variable in that part of their spiritweb, allowing them to flex to whichever shard they are nearest to.  Your question leads me to think of another similar question...as we know, we'll get FTL space travel before the end, what about those born born in the Physical Realm but in interplanetary space between Shardworlds?

Tangentially, what about sDNA mixing between folks from different Shardworlds (sorry if that's covered in other threads, cursory search didn't find anything).  Guess it could be as complex or simple as the gene-mixing that happens in "our realm" giving a simple dominant/recessive trait or very complex results.  Too many cool Cosmerian magic mixings to consider if its complex (but i think that is another thread :))

Looking forward to what others think of this...

It could just result in the spiritweb of the corresponding location in the physical realm but I'm pretty sure there'd be some more interesting effects than that, although potentially it all depends on what you expect to happen, after all that's what the cognitive realm is all about. Potentially though I'd see them having a much higher affinity for seeing the cognitive realm than normal, possibly we'd get something similar to Lift where they could physically interact with cognitive entities like Spren.

• Chaos locked this topic