What would happen if you carve an Aon into an Inquisitor's eyespikes?

Just a thought I had, assuming you could get one to stay still long enough, what would happen if an Elantrian drew an Aon on an Inquisitors spikes, subquestion if they then burned that spike what would happen? Other than the inevitable large amount of pain normally associated with removing a metal spike from your eye, swallowing it and then magically disintegrating it in your stomach, but you know who hasn't done that before? :P

Depends on the Aon, I guess. We still don´t know the effect of mosts but as long as you dont want to transform the spike itself the Investure in the spike shouldn´t interfere with the magic, afterall it´s the shape that chanels the magic and not the metal itself. At least that is how I think it works, honestly selish magic is the magic I have the least understanding of in the fine-prints like this. If the magic has to be chaneled through the spike, it could be that it doesn´t work unless you supercharge the Aon (or the Aon is fuled by the Investure in the spike, if you are away from the Aon source.) and I think you would have to give the Inquisitor the ability to activate the Aon but that´s what the spikes are for afterall and we already are in the worldhopping department

The fusing of the spike into the Spiritweb might also pose a problem, could turn this into something similar to Dahkor.

Anyway, best case scenario you could give the Inquisitor laser beams from his eyes or teleport spam.

Edited by Edgedancer

I think you'd have a case of two separate Investitures working along separate vectors - shapes vs. metals. It really depends how Aons store Investiture - are they just open gateways held by a shape, or are they passive containers releasing a set amount of Investiture as energy, or are they something in between? Does the metal gain any intrinsic properties as an Son, or is it just a substrate?

Yeah, well I mean if it's been etched into the metal it's really the air in between the metal that creates the form for the Dor to flow through, but then the metal forms the boundaries, I seriously doubt it would be able to effect the metal, although wasn't there a quote that Scadrial had some of the weakest Investiture?

I think you'd have a case of two separate Investitures working along separate vectors - shapes vs. metals. It really depends how Aons store Investiture - are they just open gateways held by a shape, or are they passive containers releasing a set amount of Investiture as energy, or are they something in between? Does the metal gain any intrinsic properties as an Son, or is it just a substrate?

I imagine they are gateways - which, I believe, is consistent with both Raoden's and Brandon's words on the matter.

Well you'd have to use Scadrial Aeons which I'm guessing a similar to those chapter glyphs we've already seen. The second point is that the spike doesn't have to be moved, it simply has to remain inside its user ala how Miles Hundredlives did it. He burned piercings and implanted gold in his body, not just the ones in his stomach.

There's also the problem of burning spikes given that it essentially welds the spirit web permanently to the user and does funny things according to WoB.

I believe though that with the proper scadrial aeons you could in fact use the spikes as receptacles for the Mists to charge them... Oh hey its Scadrial Fabrials!

But so long as your using your spikes that aren't hemalurgically charged but actually used with the intent of being carved, you could possibly charge yourself on the mists for dramatic effect similar to hemalurgy. At least that's how I see it.

Edited by Darkarma

By WoB, objects/materials have a maximum tolerance for Investment. However, spikes are also known to not be extremely invested, and have been mentioned as being capable of storing both the hemalurgic charge and a feruchemical one at once. That leaves me with two scenarios I believe are likely.

A )  The spike and Aon would both function normally, until such time as the maximum Investment threshold of the spike was reached.

B )  The secondary Investment in the spike (the Aon, in this case), would lose power corresponding to the existing power of the hemalurgic charge in order to overcome the resistance, similar to pushing on an Invested metal.

What would happen if you burnt it? Probably not much. AonDor is genetically keyed so I would suspect you'd have a situation similar to burning someone else's Feruchemical metal at best. Furthermore, burning the metal would destroy the pattern responsible for generating the effect of the Aon, rendering it ineffective.

Edited by Tempus

By WoB, objects/materials have a maximum tolerance for Investment. However, spikes are also known to not be extremely invested, and have been mentioned as being capable of storing both the hemalurgic charge and a feruchemical one at once. That leaves me with two scenarios I believe are likely.

A )  The spike and Aon would both function normally, until such time as the maximum Investment threshold of the spike was reached.

B )  The secondary Investment in the spike (the Aon, in this case), would lose power corresponding to the existing power of the hemalurgic charge in order to overcome the resistance, similar to pushing on an Invested metal.

What would happen if you burnt it? Probably not much. AonDor is genetically keyed so I would suspect you'd have a situation similar to burning someone else's Feruchemical metal at best. Furthermore, burning the metal would destroy the pattern responsible for generating the effect of the Aon, rendering it ineffective.

Aons continue to function even if erased, I don't have Elantris on hand but I'm reasonably certain it's referenced in there somewhere.

Well, if an Aon was able to be carved into a spike in a way that it can retain potential stored power, then just think about the possibilities! I mean, we could have:

• A spike that gets blasted through the Inquisitor's head when activated (Aon Dor)
  • A spike that kills the Inquisitor (Aon for death. Forgot if there's one)
  • A spike that teleports to a different place when activated. (Aon for Teleportation)
  • A spike that lights up when activated (Aon Ashe. Makes Inquisitors look  more like Terminators.  :D)
  • Other useful uses, etc.

• Chaos locked this topic