Zahel Idea *Words of Radiance and Warbreaker Spoilers*

OdiYum

So I was reading Warbreaker over again and I noted how good awakeners are at holding and storing investiture.  I wondered if this was because of the type of investiture, or if it was because of the specific sDNA makeup found on Nalthis.  

I don't think it is the first one because I faintly remember reading somewhere on the forums that all investiture is essentially drawing from the same power-source, and each world just has different ways of using this power source.  So stormlight is drawing energy from the same source as breath would which would allow Zahel to substitute one for the other.

This got me thinking thinking about how people access and use investiture (which may be wrong).

Scadrial:

- Allomancy - people access investiture by burning metals, which acts as a catalyst, allowing preservation to gift power (investiture)

- Energy comes from an outside source, the person acts like a conduit and does not store investiture

- Feruchemy and Hemalurgy - I don't really understand how these two work

Sel:

- Aon Dor, Dar Kor, Forgery - Investiture is transfered via glyphs which allow energy to flow through and be manipulated by a  person.

Roshar:

- Stormlight - a person inhales and consumes investiture.  This is not a perfect process as it dissipates eventually.

Nalthis:

- Biochromatic Breath - investiture is also inhaled, but the person can hold it indefinitely.  People are actually born with this investiture.

Out of all of these ways to invest people, the last two seem strikingly similar.  

This led me to wonder what other things can hold investiture perfectly?!? Voidbringers!!!! Dun Dun DUNNNNN!!!!

Maybe Odium went to splinter Endowment because he/she is alone on their world making them an easy target.  Perhaps Endowment bought clemency by showing Odium how to create beings capable of retaining investiture perfectly, allowing him to minimally invest in a world?  Maybe Endowment returned Zahel to combat Odium and be the anti-voidbringer?

Please let me know if there are any errors, or reasons this would be impossible.

Thanks!!!

Well.....It could happen. That would be giving Vasher a huge part in the storyline though and asside from Hoid, Brandon is trying not to do that. Although I'm not sure its succeeding you what with NB and Szeth.

But didn't he say that Zahel was primarily a Stormlight character?  I kind of feel like the whole Odium thing will be resolved in the Stormlight Archieve, then the bad guy will level up, or the real boss will show up.

Yes he was originally Vasher in the 2002 draft of WoK, and he wrote Warbreaker after. Then he changed the name so as not to be so blatant.

It seems like Breath and Stormlight are very similar, enough so that Zahel feels that he can better obtain investiture on Roshar than on Nalthis. My thought is that Stormlight is actually the equivalent of the Biochromatic Breaths of the Stormfather. 

The investitures are both used nearly identically (breathing), but as you said one is retained completely while one has a net loss over time.

I feel like there won't be as much crossing of Shards as what that theory implies, although it does seem like a solid train of thought to better understand how the Shards invest themselves into the worlds, and how they may be influencing each other to retain balance in the grander scheme despite Odium's meddling.

I've been thinking that same thing.

Vasher and the other 4 Scholars were Returned with a purpose, and since Nightblood's appearance in WoR there isn't much else that makes sense other than Endowment knowing full well that there had to be some interference in Odium's plans in Roshar. 

• 3 years later...

So as I read the OPs comment it made me think that you have the 3 realms, the real world, cognitive and spiritual.

It seems that every world has 3 different investitures possible based of the 3 realms.

Scadrial-Allomancy real world

Feurchemy-cognitive (put into metal)

Hemalurgy- spiritual

Nalthisis-breath real world

Nightblood-cognitive world

Spiritual world not yet shown?

Sel-dar real world

Aon dor-cognitive

Forgery-Spiritual

Roshar- surgebindings

Cognitve-spren

Spiritual-shard blades

Let me know what you guys think. Just a theory that came into my mind when reading your guys posts

Scadrial has three systems due to having two Shards.

Nalthis has one system. Using breath involves both cognitive and physical; there are almost certainly Spiritual aspects as well. Breath is Spiritual in nature. Nightblood was created with the same system as every other awakened object. Probably.

Sel has one system. It may have had three once, because things have changed since Odium interfered. The Dor is Cognitive, as the power is stuck there. ALL Selish magic uses the same system. We know of several variants.

Roshar... is confusing since it should have between 4 and 7 systems. We've seen two and have heard of a third. (Four is if Odium is counted separately, with H and C having three between them.) But this doesn't appear to be the case. Surgbinding can count as ten systems or one. Some Rosharan magic predates the shattering. Some Spren predate the Shattering. Some Spren are splinters of H,C and O. Roshar is weird.

Taldain has one Shard and one system, but also has at least two variants. The magic there - wait. The comics haven't gotten there yet. So we can only talk about what is already known: Sand Mastery. Which seems to be mainly physical from what is shown in the comic (I checked to make sure.)

We officially know nothing of Vax yet, except that it exists. We also know nothing of Aethers... except that they exist and all unofficial knowledge is almost certainly outdated.

Does any of this help?

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

Yes it does thank you.

Do you think each shards powers are able to be manipulated in the 3 realms. Most seem to be used internally, externally and then bringing non-living objects to "life".

Maybe I'm looking into it to deeply and trying to connect something thats not there

There's a fundamental problem with this. We've got confirmation that while the investiture on roshar can fuel vasher the same way that breath would on nalthis, they have a different kind of consistency. 

Stormlight is thin, whispy, runny, and leaks constantly. While breath is supposed to be more viscous, and sticky. So it doesnt just leak away the same way that stormlight does. Though i think there are ways of slowing the stormlight leak. Voidbringers were reportedly nearly perfect at holding in investiture. And radiants were better than someone with an honorblade. 

Hopefully someone cooler than me will link the WoB's. 

2 hours ago, Head Crabs said:

Hopefully someone cooler than me will link the WoB's. 

Ask, and you shall receive.

2 hours ago, Head Crabs said:

1. Stormlight is thin, wispy, runny, and leaks constantly. While breath is supposed to be more viscous, and sticky. So it doesn't just leak away the same way that Stormlight does.
2. Though I think there are ways of slowing the Stormlight leak.
3. Voidbringers were reportedly nearly perfect at holding in investiture.
4. And Radiants were better than someone with an Honorblade. 

One.

Argent

Awakening and Surgebinding, Stormlight and Breath seem really similar in some aspects except Breaths seem to stick to things better--

Brandon Sanderson

They do.

Argent

--than Stormlight. So when you are holding the Breath it doesn’t expire when you put it in something it doesn’t go away. Can you tell me something about why that’s happening?

Brandon Sanderson

Part of this is kind of inherent to the Shard and the power it’s coming from. I mean the power of Endowment is just going to stick, that’s part of the nature of its magic. Does that make sense? But it also kind of has to do with how the ecosystems are working. For instance the Stormlight is essential to the ecosystem of Roshar, it needs to be expended, it needs to get out and-- It’s like evaporation, does that make sense?

Argent

Recycling? Not the recycling but the cycle of--

Two.

Alterodent

With Stormlight, the better the gem is cut, the less Stormlight it leaks, and the longer it holds its charge. If a gem was perfectly cut, on a molecular scale, would it leak Stormlight at all?

Brandon Sanderson

In a theoretical flawless gem, then no it would not leak.

Three.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah like the cycle of water. And so just part of the way the nature of it works, it /has/ to get out, it /has/ to leak out, it has to run out. I mean it leaks even from spheres, right?

Argent

And when you lash things it’s temporary--

Brandon Sanderson

Yep. And even though Szeth says that he thought Voidbringers could hold it they can’t. Like it is just not the way that it works.

Argent

Can they just hold it better?

Brandon Sanderson

They can hold it better. It’s not permanent. Now there are things that can do it permanently but--

Four.

Q: Does a Herald using an Honorblade consume the same "dangerous" amounts of Stormlight?

A: Honorblades are less efficient; this doesn't change when a Herald uses them. (But they have other advantages.)

• Chaos locked this topic