Doctor Who

Quiver

For a villain episode, I think that a one-shot/minor recurring villain would be best. All the very big villains such as Dalek and Cyberman are not diverse enough. Maybe something alike the Calvierris from "The Vampires of Venice."

If the Master is still alive, now that Gallifrey isn´t destroyed anymore, it might be fun to get an episode from his perspective. Granted, he wouldn´t be afraid of the Doctor, so that kind of defeats the point.

With regards the Master...

I have a story I would love to see happen. I doubt it ever will, of course... but I've been thinking that it would be a very cool situation if the Doctor restores Gallifrey, goes to meet his people, the High Council assures him they locked away/whatever Rassillion, and he is taken to mee the new leader.

And sitting in the chair is the new High Lord President of Gallifrey:

The Master. 

I have a story I would love to see happen. I doubt it ever will, of course... but I've been thinking that it would be a very cool situation if the Doctor restores Gallifrey, goes to meet his people, the High Council assures him they locked away/whatever Rassillion, and he is taken to mee the new leader.

The Master. 

That would be fairly awesome.

The Master. 

And the Master says...

77b.png

He's kind of the Discord of the Whoniverse. I imagine Gallifrey would have regular chocolate milk showers, with him in charge.

Since we're talking about dr who, and some people here are newer doctor who fans, i will assume that some people have not seen this. Thus, i present to you a comedy bit with rowan atkinson (mr bean) from the mid 90's or so, "Dr who and curse of fatal death"

Can't... let thread... die...

On the topic of a female Doctor, does anyone have any idea who could play such an incarnation? My actress of choice would be Claudia Black, but I'd be interested in hearing alternative takes on it.

Eh, if it does, it'll just regenerate with a different title and OP. :P 

I think Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) would be a good choice, but only because of the reason I think it could work. What I see happening is that, during this regeneration or the next one, the Doctor does some awful things. He becomes colder, more calculating, more alien and less human-like. As he nears the end of his life, he remembers his old companions—and as he dies, he recalls the one who made him into a better man. The one whose sweetness made a Dalek slightly more human. So, as he regenerates, he chooses Rose's face in hopes that he can take on some of her personality traits and perhaps change what is becoming an increasingly dark course. That, I think, would be a compelling storyline, and a good excuse to make the Doctor female without turning it into a gimmick. 

I personally, as a dedicated Whovian, would love to see a return of the Valeyard. The Valeyard has been unresolved since Colin Baker's era (The Trial of a Time Lord, to be precise), and it has been grating away at my OCD since I've watched it. Mind you, it might be difficult to fit in to the modern plot line, as technically Peter Capaldi is the 14th Doctor. However, Moffat can work miracles (sometimes), and there are some ways around it.

For those of you who don't know / don't remember who the Valeyard is, he is an evil incarnation of the doctor, a bit like the Watcher, between 'the twelth and final incarnations'. Technically, the twelth incarnation is David Tennant, which is why it is sort of difficult to work out. However, there are ways around this. The obvious one is using Capaldi's more common title of the 'twelth' doctor to allow this to still be true.

EDIT: Fixed typos

Edited by TenSoon

Actually, I wonder if, thanks to Time of the Doctor, the Valeyard has been resolved off-screen. The Great Intelligence specifically mentioned the Valeyard as one of the titles the Doctor would have "before the end" at Trenzalore.

Honestly... the Trenzalore thing seems like a pretty huge problem to me. Has that been, effectively, undone? Is the Doctor still destined to die at Trenzalore, or did Time of the Doctor circumvent that? The Trenzalore of Time didn't seem to mesh too well with the one from Name; that one seemed to imply it was more of a military style war, with army ranks and generals (thanks to the tombstones), whereas Time of the Doctor was more of a... capering affair? The Doctor, as a single bulwark against which the tides of his enemies broke. Not what I got from the Name of the Doctor at all.

I would love to see the Valeyard concept explored; I love the idea of evil characters, and an evil!Doctor is not the same as the Master. But, while it might be kind of cool to see that storyline play out with Capaldi, I don't know if we're ever really going to get a resolution to it; the same way the answers we got to the Silence arc didn't really mesh with what we had sen to that point either.

Actually, I wonder if, thanks to Time of the Doctor, the Valeyard has been resolved off-screen. The Great Intelligence specifically mentioned the Valeyard as one of the titles the Doctor would have "before the end" at Trenzalore.

Honestly... the Trenzalore thing seems like a pretty huge problem to me. Has that been, effectively, undone? Is the Doctor still destined to die at Trenzalore, or did Time of the Doctor circumvent that? The Trenzalore of Time didn't seem to mesh too well with the one from Name; that one seemed to imply it was more of a military style war, with army ranks and generals (thanks to the tombstones), whereas Time of the Doctor was more of a... capering affair? The Doctor, as a single bulwark against which the tides of his enemies broke. Not what I got from the Name of the Doctor at all.

I would love to see the Valeyard concept explored; I love the idea of evil characters, and an evil!Doctor is not the same as the Master. But, while it might be kind of cool to see that storyline play out with Capaldi, I don't know if we're ever really going to get a resolution to it; the same way the answers we got to the Silence arc didn't really mesh with what we had sen to that point either.

The overall impression I got is that the Great Intelligence didn't know what the heck had happened there any more than the Doctor did. He was making stuff up to fit with his top hat wearing, gloating villain persona. :P

I have never seen Trial of a Time Lord, so correct me if I'm wrong about this. Wikipedia says he's an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker sides taken from around his twelfth incarnation. Well, if you go by pure numbering, number 11 is actually the twelfth incarnation--so could the Dream Lord be the Valeyard? He certainly fits with the description. And it would explain why the Valeyard doesn't do anything more substantial than going back in time and suing himself; he's just a psychic manifestation, not a real regeneration at all.

The overall impression I got is that the Great Intelligence didn't know what the heck had happened there any more than the Doctor did. He was making stuff up to fit with his top hat wearing, gloating villain persona. :P

I have never seen Trial of a Time Lord, so correct me if I'm wrong about this. Wikipedia says he's an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker sides taken from around his twelfth incarnation. Well, if you go by pure numbering, number 11 is actually the twelfth incarnation--so could the Dream Lord be the Valeyard? He certainly fits with the description. And it would explain why the Valeyard doesn't do anything more substantial than going back in time and suing himself; he's just a psychic manifestation, not a real regeneration at all.

There were two 10th doctors, so one could argue that he was the true 12th doctor or his clone. Mmmhhh, I suppose the clone could return as the Valeyard.

Non-show related spoilers.

There was a comic published by IDW using that idea; the meta-crisis Doctor revealed himself to Ten as the Valeyard, complete with black pinstriped costume and a goatee. If you're interested in reading it- because Goatee-Ten, why wouldn't you?- it's collected in a trade called 'The Forgotten'.

Edited by Quiver

Non-show related spoilers.

There was a comic published by IDW using that idea; the meta-crisis Doctor revealed himself to Ten as the Valeyard, complete with black pinstriped costume and a goatee. If you're interested in reading it- because Goatee-Ten, why wouldn't you?- it's collected in a trade called 'The Forgotten'.

I did find that one pretty interesting (I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed one particular comic involving Ten and people who live backwards in time) even though it wasn't the meta-crisis Doctor after all; "just a parasite" ;)

Edited by Kasimir

Whatever it is, it sounds pretty ridiculously epic. Even if the Doctor getting electrocuted over the phone is a little ridiculous taken out of context. On Doctor Who TV, somebody commented claiming the episode is titled "Prank Call of the Daleks". :P:D

Every year there are rumors and speculations that classic enemies will be returning--though granted, the Davros Hypothesis is a little more substantiated than others. I am constantly seeing theories that the Master will come back; I've seen suggestions that River Song was the Master, that Rory was the Master, and even that Peter Capaldi was going to be the Master.

Whatever it is, it sounds pretty ridiculously epic. Even if the Doctor getting electrocuted over the phone is a little ridiculous taken out of context. On Doctor Who TV, somebody commented claiming the episode is titled "Prank Call of the Daleks". :P:D

"HeLLo, DOCtor. IS your ReFrIgErAtOr rUnNinG?" 

"You know very well that the TARDIS doesn't have a refrigerator!" 

"ThEn YoU'D bETTer Go—CuRsE yOu, DOCtor!" 

There were two 10th doctors, so one could argue that he was the true 12th doctor or his clone. Mmmhhh, I suppose the clone could return as the Valeyard.

I think Tennant playing the Valeyard would certainly be awesome...Especially given the whole "Timelord Victorious" thing, and that ten's clone is angry and wilder than ten himself and might want to regenerate for a good reason that eventually goes horribly wrong...That could make the Valeyard into an interesting, even season-long villain if they played their cards right...

You know, I think the funniest thing about that video is that it's exactly how I thought a female Doctor should be brought into the show; the first regeneration following their final death.

If they ever chose a woman, she should be a ginger. That way, at least the Doctor is finally a ginger...even if it means she has to...well...you know. Get use to being a woman...

Edited by Nymp

• 4 weeks later...

Aww... feather.

So, I just found out that the first episode of the season premiered this past week; Tor has a spoiler free review of it on their site.

Of course, just because they keep spoiler free doesn't mean other people will. I was already kind of wary about visiting any Who sites, because of the episode/script leaks... and the added threat of "Clara is secretly the Master!"* type spoilers from people who have seen the episode has me considering dropping everything. The episode airs on the 23rd after all, which isn't reall that long a time to go without internet, right...?

*I mean, c'mon, this theory is too crazy to be true, right?... right? 

Edited by Quiver

I too have been trying to avoid spoilers (except for reading about  the new title sequence, since I don't really care about that sort of thing.)

So I've been wondering what different people are hoping for in the new series. There's been a lot of talk about the series becoming darker with the Capaldi era; is this a development that most of us here would welcome? Personally I'm not usually a fan of darker forms of media, preferring the cheery enthusiasm of the modern Doctors, but I'd definitely love to hear other opinions on the matter.

[Place Marker Post - Haven't read any of the recent posts because of the reason below.]

Also a DW fan here, but we've purposefully held off watching the Christmas special so that we could watch it right before the next series starts.  Promise I'll be back when we've caught up!