Quick Fix Game 2: Crushthroat's Beginnings

Ahoy, me hearties and welcome aboard The AonTeo! Ye be part of Crushthroat's crew now and we be raidin' all over the Northern Sea! Aye, by the time we're done, every vessel from Arelon to Sycla will know our name and will fear it.

So cast off, ye mangy dogs and don't let our Captain hear any grumblings about any mutiny! He don't take too kindly to that. He be likely to send ye down to Davy Jones' Locker for it! Besides, ye be paid yer fair share and when next we make port, ye'll be loaded to the gunwalls and cracking Jenny's tea cup in no time!

The Game

You're a member of the dreaded pirate Dreok Crushthroat's crew. This takes place before the events of Elantris, obviously, while he's still out sailing and making a name for himself. As with any place filled with criminals and villainy, not everyone likes the way Captain Crushthroat is running things. They think they should be in charge.

You know the hardest part about mutinies? They're bloody hard to know which of the crew is a part of it until it's already happening....

The Rules

As this is a Quick Fix, Day and Night turns will be combined together and each cycle is 24 hours long. Every player has two actions during each cycle; a voting action and a secondary action. Secondary actions are for Roles, Items, or Events use. Players will vote for one person to be given the hempen halter every cycle. It takes two votes for someone to be lynched and ties result in a no lynch.

There are two Factions; the Mutineers and the Loyal Crew.

The Mutineers will know who each other are and they have the goal of lynching Captain Crushthroat. This is accomplished when they can get a majority vote for the Captain (this could happen at any time, so be careful!).

The Loyal Crew's job is to find and lynch all of the Mutineers hiding among them. Then they can get back to some decent pirating!

Role and Alliance will be revealed on death.

In other words, pretty standard. This is where it gets interesting:

EVERYTHING WILL BE DONE IN THREAD*. This includes the Mutineers. They do not get a Doc to conspire in. The Mutineers group kill will be passed around each cycle. The Mutineers that are not making the kill will be allowed to send one PM to the person making the kill (I need to be included in those PMs), so they had better make them count! They don't even get to see the PMs being sent to the person making the kill from their other members.

Voting will be done in thread, as per the general rules. Red for votes, Green for retractions.

*Note: I can't stop players from PMing each other beforehand and setting up little codes and such, but I highly discourage it. Consider it part of the Fair Play Rules. By doing so, you're trying to give yourself an advantage over other players, or in other words, not playing fairly. I'd view this as akin to cheating, so please don't do this. I have faith in you guys, so I don't think this will be a problem, but please don't make me lose that faith in you by doing something like this.

Roles, Items, and Events

This is a Quick Fix, so there are very few roles and each side could have them.

• Quartermaster: As long as the Quartermaster lives, only one of each item per cycle is available. Players bid for the item of their choosing, because whoever heard of an honest Quartermaster on a pirate ship? Players bid on items starting with the minimum price (the Axe is not included). The item, if won, is usable for the next cycle, but then it is returned to the vault. If the Quartermaster dies, there will be a set number of each item available for a price and once they are gone, they are gone, but they last until used. There will be only one Quartermaster in the game.

• Gunner: The Gunner has an extra life from being so tough. There will likely be multiple of them in the game.

• Powder Monkey: Everyone else.

Items

These are the items that can be purchased each cycle. The first number represents the item's minimum bidding price. The second number represents the price for the item if the Quartermaster is dead and the final number is the amount of each item available if the Quartermaster is dead.

You'll note that the Axe does not have a bidding price. This is intentional. The Quartermaster won't loan out the Axe. It only becomes available if the Quartermaster dies.

• (1)/(2 x 5) Loaded Dice: Re-roll the lowest roll when Gambling

• (2)/(4 x 4) Buckler: Blocks an attack

• (3)/(6 x 3) Grappling Hook: Role-block

• */(12 x 1) Axe: Allows multiple attacks

Events

There is only one Event in this game and it's an Event any true pirate can get behind; Gambling.

Gambling: Every player starts out with two coins. A post during each cycle will give you another coin. A vote during the cycle will give you another coin. Thus, there are a possible 2 coins, per player, each cycle. Players can spend their coins bidding for items, or they can hold onto them, or they can gamble with them once each cycle.

Gambling costs 2 coins and each player will have 3 six sided dice rolled for them (I will be using actual dice, so there won't be any funny business with random number generators). The faces on those dice will be added together and the player with the highest total at the end of the cycle will get 3 coins, thus retrieving the coins they had to begin with plus one coin.

And that be the game, ye bilge rats! Now, who out of ye be ready to go on account and join the Crew?

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

Pregame Rule Clarifications

1. Items (and coins)cannot be given. Even if they could, since the items go back to the Quartermaster after the next cycle, the recipient wouldn't be able to use the item by the time they got it. 

2 & 3. All secondary actions (This includes the Mutineer's kill order) are done by PM. Look at it this way, if it's a PM to the GM, then it's hidden. Everything else has to stay in the thread only. I thought about doing the Gambling and Bidding in thread as well, but I figured that would benefit those that are online close to the deadline too much. Items that are used will be revealed in the write ups, but not who used them. 

4. No, it has to be a lynch. It's effectively the same as always, as the Mutineers will likely have to outnumber the Loyal Crew to be able to pull off the lynch, but now they have the actual goal and it makes it so the Crew needs to be very careful with their voting. 

5. Crushthroat is Captain. As Captain, he can kill any one he likes, whenever he likes, as he's just that awesome.  ;)

6. The Axe allows only one additional kill per cycle, but it is a permanent item; it won't disappear after use. The other items are all one-shot items

7. Only one PM Message and the message is directed at whichever Mutineer has their kill action for that cycle. This is so the person with the kill action will at least know the opinions of his peers on whom to kill, but they are free to discuss anything within that singular message. Like I said, they'd better make those messages count!

I should also add that there is no penalty for not posting something in this game; although that will severely limit the amount of coins you have. That said, if someone is inactive for three cycles in a row, they will "fall" overboard and be lost at sea. 

First Round of Rule Clarifications

First off, the coins. Everyone starts off with 2 coins. A post within a cycle counts for one more (it must be on topic. You can just post, "Hi!" and get a coin) and a vote will net you another. If you retract your vote, then it is the same as having not voted and you will not receive that coin. This means that you can get a maximum of 2 coins per cycle without gambling. 

Those coins are usable during that cycle. While you don't technically get the additional coins until the end of the cycle, they are first in the order and will be received before any bids, gambling, etc. take place. An example:

Someone decides to bid 4 coins on a Grappling Hook this cycle. As long as they have posted and voted, they will have the 4 coins necessary to complete their bid. 

Now, let's say that they retract their vote and do not vote again. They would only have 3 coins by the end of the day and their bid would not be counted. 

Next, everyone gets two actions and only two actions per cycle (the only exception to this is the PM that the Mutineers can send to the person making the kill for them and the kill itself. That is not considered an action). The voting action is self-explanatory; it is for voting. The secondary action is used for bidding, gambling, or using an item. You can not bid and gamble at the same time, even if you have the coins for it. There are two items that have their own rules for use:

• Loaded Dice- If someone purchases the Loaded Dice, their use an item action automatically allows them to gamble. Loaded Dice also allow the user to waive the entry fee for that attempt (as they paid for it with the buying of the Loaded Dice). 
  • Buckler- The Buckler is a passive item and does not need to be activated with the use item action. Thus, someone with a Buckler can still perform other actions. 

And Gambling. Gambling can either be broadcast here or in a PM to me. It costs two coins to gamble. If you win, you get 3 coins (the 2 you used plus 1). If you lose, your coins are forfeit. It is called Gambling for a reason.

On the other hand, if you bid on something and lose, your coins will be returned to you. 

Round 2 of Rule Clarifications

For write up purposes, there will not be any difference between whether someone was protected via a Buckler or is a Gunner. No ones alliance will be revealed until their final death. Though the Grappling Hook can remove a Buckler.

If the Quartermaster dies, there will only be so many of each item available. Since the items are no longer returned at the end of the cycle (so no, you cannot hang onto an item before the Quartermaster is dead. Well, you can, but it doesn't do you much good. All items return to the vault at the end of the cycle), you are capable of having more than one item. You cannot have duplicates of the same item however and you still can only purchase one item per cycle. If there are more people purchasing an item than there are items, then the decision for who gets an item will be decided randomly. For example:

The Quartermaster dies and Person A purchases a Grappling Hook. Until Person A uses that Grappling Hook, Person A cannot purchase another. They can, on the other hand, purchase a Buckler or a set of Loaded Dice during the next cycle. During the next cycle, 3 people decide to purchase a Grappling Hook. Since there are only 2 Grappling Hooks left, it will be randomly decided who out of those 3 receives a Grappling Hook. 

Concerning Order of Actions: 

• Grappling Hook
  • Votes Tallied
  • Coins Received
  • Bidding/Gambling/Use an Item
  • Kills
  • Receive Items
Edited by Metacognition

I forgot to do this earlier and Joe seems hellbent on being one of the first to sign up for every game, so even if I had remembered, he still might have beaten me to it! :P 

[Reserved for Rule Clarifications]

Whenever a new topic gets posted in Sanderson Elimination, I get a text. also, First!

GM-to-be: if it's ok, I have some clarificatory questions from myself and from shy comrades in the dead doc ;)

1. Are players allowed to give items?
2. Is gambling public? How much of it gets revealed in the write-up?
3. Are secondary actions done by PM or in-thread as well?
4. The win condition says 'lynch'. Does a kill by axe of a mutineer or Crushthroat count towards this condition?
5. What is Crushthroat's role? Will Crushthroat even know if he's Crushthroat? :P

6. How do the multiple kills allowed by the axe work? Is there a kill limit per cycle, or in the entire game?

7. When you say the Mutineers can only send one PM, do you mean one PM message, or that they can only start one for that cycle? (I'm leaning towards the former but I'd like to be sure :) )

Thank you so much! Sorry, we were discussing a bit in there as it's...dead boring :P

Edited by Kasimir

Arr!  Who said anything about shy?  I should keelhaul ye for that, matey!

Riingar be joinin' this crew, ye scurvy dogs!  I once had me own crew, and we pillaged the Opelon Seas for eleven years!  Aye, but those knaves committed mutiny in the heat of battle.  I barely survived with me life.  But now, I'm joinin' ye scallywags in Captain Crushthroat's crew.  The best o' luck to ye all!

And yes, I will be talking like this for the whole game. Is that a problem?

Edited by Renegade

Kai signing up. Some people think he's Wyrm's bastard half-brother but it's lies. All lies.

The lie here is that it is Wyrm who is the bastard half-brother, not Kai.

It's a rather sad story. You see, Wyrm's mother and father weren't really happy enough together. His mother was a brilliant Dula - definitely not Fjorden - horse thief, famed for being able to train horses to steal more horses for her, and his father was an Elantrian - note, not Fjorden - sailor who traversed the seas looking for Excitement, Adventure and Really Wild Things (but only at night because he was scared of the sun).

His father was made redundant between adventures when he put all of his money into creating a passenger route between Teod and Arelon, specifically to cater for Elantrians. This was rather foolish of him, since his target market could normally just will themselves there with Aons. At this point, his mother got bored with stealing horses, and tried her hand at other things instead in order to try and get some more money into the coffers.

Wyrm never really saw much of his mother, as she ran away with the family silver a few days before he was born, because she found the home life a bit dull. His father married another, somewhat more pleasant, girl instead. She was actually Svordish, which conviniently explains where Wyrm gets his somewhat Fjorden features from. They were a much better family unit than a thief and a sailor, and so they're still together to this day. A year after their marriage, Kai was born into the family as Wyrm's younger half-brother.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm playing a liar. I hope this won't count as pre-game collusion with Kas, since there's only RP stuff here.

Edited by Wyrmhero

Saor is signing up. This quiet scholar had one too many drinks, and before he knew what was happening, he somehow signed up to be a pirate. He spends half of his time on the ship getting drunk, and the other half wishing he hadn't gotten drunk.

GM-to-be: if it's ok, I have some clarificatory questions from myself and from shy comrades in the dead doc ;)

1. Are players allowed to give items?

2. Is gambling public? How much of it gets revealed in the write-up?

3. Are secondary actions done by PM or in-thread as well?

4. The win condition says 'lynch'. Does a kill by axe of a mutineer or Crushthroat count towards this condition?

5. What is Crushthroat's role? Will Crushthroat even know if he's Crushthroat? :P

6. How do the multiple kills allowed by the axe work? Is there a kill limit per cycle, or in the entire game?

7. When you say the Mutineers can only send one PM, do you mean one PM message, or that they can only start one for that cycle? (I'm leaning towards the former but I'd like to be sure :) )

Thank you so much! Sorry, we were discussing a bit in there as it's...dead boring :P

1. Items (and coins)cannot be given. Even if they could, since the items go back to the Quartermaster after the next cycle, the recipient wouldn't be able to use the item by the time they got it. 

2 & 3. All secondary actions (This includes the Mutineer's kill order) are done by PM. Look at it this way, if it's a PM to the GM, then it's hidden. Everything else has to stay in the thread only. I thought about doing the Gambling and Bidding in thread as well, but I figured that would benefit those that are online close to the deadline too much. Items that are used will be revealed in the write ups, but not who used them. 

4. No, it has to be a lynch. It's effectively the same as always, as the Mutineers will likely have to outnumber the Loyal Crew to be able to pull off the lynch, but now they have the actual goal and it makes it so the Crew needs to be very careful with their voting. 

5. Crushthroat is Captain. As Captain, he can kill any one he likes, whenever he likes, as he's just that awesome. ;) 

6. The Axe allows only one additional kill per cycle, but it is a permanent item; it won't disappear after use. The other items are all one-shot items

7. Only one PM Message and the message is directed at whichever Mutineer has their kill action for that cycle. This is so the person with the kill action will at least know the opinions of his peers on whom to kill, but they are free to discuss anything within that singular message. Like I said, they'd better make those messages count!

I should also add that there is no penalty for not posting something in this game; although that will severely limit the amount of coins you have. That said, if someone is inactive for three cycles in a row, they will "fall" overboard and be lost at sea. 

Thanks so much, Meta! I have one last clarification (for now :P ) regarding what you said in response to Question 4. Does 'it has to be a lynch' apply to both the Mutineers and loyal Crewmembers? So if Crushthroat manages to kill a Mutineer, that causes the Crew to fail their objective immediately as they have to be taken out by a lynch?

Crushthroat is the GM. He's not taking part other than to act as the final authority and dealer of death. No one gets the role of Crushthroat. The only roles are Quartermaster, Gunner, and Powder Monkeys. As long as all the Mutineers are dead, the Loyal Crew wins. 

Crushthroat is the GM. He's not taking part other than to act as the final authority and dealer of death. No one gets the role of Crushthroat. The only roles are Quartermaster, Gunner, and Powder Monkeys. As long as all the Mutineers are dead, the Loyal Crew wins.

Argh. Sorry I seem to be the Leeroy and this game hasn't even really started yet, but just to make sure I'm absolutely clear about what we're supposed to do:

Standard win conditions apply. Mutineers need to outnumber Crew, at which point they can lynch you. Crew needs to get rid of all the Mutineers, and there's no danger of the Crew accidentally pitching in on a lynch on Crushthroat, i.e. you. Would that be the case?

Again, I'm sorry. I seem to be getting more and more confused. If I'm not getting this right, and it's too much of a bother, could someone else explain this to me, please? :S

I suppose the Crew could vote to lynch Crushthroat, but that would be suicidal. :P It works the same as any other lynch vote. It's like when people jokingly lynched Peng in game 3, except this time, it counts. 

It works like every other game, except that rather than just outnumber the Crew, the Mutineers get to perform a little celebratory action, so to speak. I'll give you a few examples of how it could play out:

It is cycle 7 and the Mutineers now outnumber the Crew by a count of 5-4 respectively. Rather than that being game over right then and there, the Mutineers each now vote to lynch Crushthroat. Since the Crew doesn't have enough votes to stop the lynch, Crushthroat is lynched and the Mutineers have achieved their victory condition. 

Here's another one: It's cycle 3 and the Mutineers are still outnumbered by the Crew by a count of 4-10 respectively. Unfortunately, the Crew has been split between 4 different people in the votes, so no one has more than 3 votes. The Mutineers decide to all vote to lynch Crushthroat. The cycle ends without anyone switching their votes* and since Crushthroat would have a majority of the votes, the Mutineers have completed their victory condition and win. 

*Note: this is highly unlikely to happen, considering that the Mutineers are not able to collaborate as much as they're used to and if even one of them messes up, they've revealed themselves. Also, if any member of the Crew notices and switches their vote, they've revealed themselves and haven't completed their goal. That said, this is a possibility, so the Crew will want to be careful with their votes too!

Final scenario: It's cycle 10 and the Mutineers outnumber the Crew 3-2 respectively. So, of course the Mutineers decide to try to lynch Crushthroat. Unfortunately, one of their players has been gone all day and doesn't get in their vote. Worse yet, this person was also the person that was to make their kill for the cycle and the Crew has the Axe! Now, two of their members are revealed and they didn't achieve their victory condition due to the Crew's votes making it a tie. Plus, with the Axe, the Crew is able to kill off one of the Mutineers and will be able to force a tie at best. 

Hopefully that explains things for you?

Whenever a new topic gets posted in Sanderson Elimination, I get a text. also, First!

How do you get a text? 

Of course Kas is the one with a hoard of questions before the game has even been up for a day. :P

On topic:

Honor died in Quick Fix 1 and lives again to attempt to win.

Of course Kas is the one with a hoard of questions before the game has even been up for a day. :P

They're not all mine :P Some of them come from shy comrades in the dead doc! Of whom Rengar is not one  :P

Extra question: just to make sure this is the case, do people who don't succeed in their gambling attempt lose all their coins? So winner gets one extra and keeps his current amount, losers lose everything?

Ummm... What time is this game starting? I just remembered that I will be out of town next week, so if it starts then, I will not be able to participate. That would suck, but real life is more important than this.

By all their coins, I'm assuming you mean the 2 coins it takes to gamble. In that case, yes; they lose the coins they used to gamble with. 

A Smart Guy- I was going to give it a week from when I started this for sign ups, so around Thursday of next week. :( I'll remind you that you only die if you haven't posted for 3 consecutive cycles, but I completely understand. It would be a lot to catch up on. Let me know if that means you won't be playing. We'll miss you, but we'll get the chance to kill you again some other time, I'm sure. ;)