Kobold, I couldn't decide whether to upvote that post because I agree, or downvote because it made me so darn sad. 

I finally decided to upvote it, for the same reason "Hurricane Fluttershy" is one of my all-time favorite episodes. But I am informing you that I considered the opposite, for the same reason I have to watch "Hurricane Fluttershy" alone. 

I cry every time I watch it. I know what's coming. I know it ends well. But all of Fluttershy's flashbacks….they just hit too close to home. Never thought I'd identify with a pale yellow cartoon pony that closely.

I think sad episodes of cartoons are far more distressing than dark episodes of live-action shows. Usually cartoon characters seem to live in a very idealized world. A world that, if not 100% pure and innocent, is still preferable to our own.

But a sad episode inverts that. We see our favorite characters suffer, see them faced with something that isn't quite as simple or innocent as they usually find.

I have no idea what "Hurricane Fluttershy" is about, but I am familiar with sad episodes of cartoons like Teen Titans. Granted, the Teen Titans are superheroes who fight evil every episode... but seeing them hurt in ways other than animated bruises or band-aids can cause fair a bit of second-hand trauma.

I think sad episodes of cartoons are far more distressing than dark episodes of live-action shows. Usually cartoon characters seem to live in a very idealized world. A world that, if not 100% pure and innocent, is still preferable to our own.

But a sad episode inverts that. We see our favorite characters suffer, see them faced with something that isn't quite as simple or innocent as they usually find.

I have no idea what "Hurricane Fluttershy" is about, but I am familiar with sad episodes of cartoons like Teen Titans. Granted, the Teen Titans are superheroes who fight evil every episode... but seeing them hurt in ways other than animated bruises or band-aids can cause fair a bit of second-hand trauma.

I also read once that when we see live-action movies or TV shows, we can still identify with the characters, but we're seeing someone else's story. But when we watch cartoons, that psychological barrier is down, allowing us to see characters as extensions of ourselves and making it that much more personal. 

But when the stories themselves are deeply personal….well, that's a whole other layer of trauma and catharsis. 

It's about Rainbow Dash trying to get the pegasi in Ponyville to create a tornado to funnel water up to Cloudsdale so the pegasi there can send rain. Rainbow Dash, being Rainbow Dash, turns it into a challenge to break the record for the fastest windspeed attained by pegasi. Well, Fluttershy is drafted into the effort, but her hangup is that, not only is she afraid of flying at high speeds, but she was severely bullied by other pegasi in Cloudsdale for her weak flying skills. So every time she tries to get up to speed for the tornado, she hears them chanting in her head: "Fluttershy! Fluttershy! Fluttershy can hardly fly!" Even though she does join in, allowing the other pegasi to reach the minimum speed required for a tornado and earning their admiration, everything in between is super traumatic to watch.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

So, I went to take a look at the history of Derpy Hooves.

Exhibit A: the character herself.

[spoiiler]

derpy_hovering_test_by_c_quel-d4hmz2x.gi

Heh. Looks like your spoiler box crashed.

I don't even know what to think anymore. Is there any part of the world that isn't infiltrated by MLP!?

Oh yeah. I know. Trying putting MLP INTO MLP MWAHAHAHAHA. Alternatively, try Fallout.

I don't even know what to think anymore. Is there any part of the world that isn't infiltrated by MLP!?

Oh yeah. I know. Trying putting MLP INTO MLP MWAHAHAHAHA. Alternatively, try Fallout.

This IS the MLP thread. You can't say you weren't warned :P

Meet Littlepip.

post-4823-0-45697400-1341872292.png

Now, you may not rcognise her from the show. That's because she's not in the show. Little Pip is the lead character of a very long and, by all accounts, critically acclaimed piece of fan fiction, where she tatempts to survive in an Equestria which has been rendered to an almost inhospitable wasteland thanks to a war between two nations.

The name of the story?

fallout_equestria_open_wallpaper_aged_by

Edited by Quiver

like this?

ponies_of_might_and_magic_3_1_by_rover4f

Im...Impossible! MLP exists within HoMM!? No! I cannot believe this!

Grr... I'm pulling on my last reserves now. Put MLP into Arsenal of Democracy (the video game)! GAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, I am pulling on my last reserves of extremely irrelevant and unknown stuff, like my Titanfall loadout and such (try that  :D)

I call shenanigans!

Not only have I never heard of 'Arsenal of Diplomacy', I wouldn't know a ponified image if it did appear!

Still, this one popped up when I asked google, so I guess Ill submit it for review?

208911__safe_crossover_big%2Bmacintosh_t

This claims to be the main character of xenoblade ponified:

HBnbW.png

And this was the best match I could find for pony titanfall:

...But the obscurity of these franchises may be starting to drain even my reserve of pony pictures.

Edited by Quiver

I call shenanigans!

Not only have I never heard of 'Arsenal of Diplomacy', I wouldn't know a ponified image if it did appear!

Still, this one popped up when I asked google, so I guess Ill submit it for review?

208911__safe_crossover_big%2Bmacintosh_t

This claims to be the main character of xenoblade ponified:

HBnbW.png

And this was the best match I could find for pony titanfall:

...But the obscurity of these franchises may be starting to drain even my reserve of pony pictures.

Ok, firstly, it's Arsenal of Democracy. It's a pretty obscure game I played a lot. I sadly haven't tried Xenoblade, and that is most certainly not my loadout (Pilot: Spitfire + HCOG + Slammer, Arc Grenades, Stim, Extra Ordnace and Icepick/ Titan: Atlas, Chaingun + Accelerator, Tactical Reactor and Big Punch).

Good try, though  :D. Victory at last over MLP.

Hmm.

I have to admit, the diea of there being something that has not yet been ponified disturbs me greatly... so I re-searched with the proper game title.

Other than 3D Tank models, painted with ponies (FLUTTERTANK, YES)... this was the best I could find.

sampleevent_zps3b96e726.png

I hate your love of obscure titles.

I JUST SAW A PINKIE PIE PLUSHY TOY IN A SHOP.

Not for sale or anything, just... sitting there. On the till. 

The person working the cash register was showing off an MLP plushy.

This seems portentous, somehow. 

Hmm.

I have to admit, the diea of there being something that has not yet been ponified disturbs me greatly... so I re-searched with the proper game title.

Other than 3D Tank models, painted with ponies (FLUTTERTANK, YES)... this was the best I could find.

sampleevent_zps3b96e726.png

I hate your love of obscure titles.

MWAHAHAHA I HAVE WON AGAINST THE ONSLAUGHT OF MLP! AHAHAHAHA!

Good try, though. That looks like Crusader Kings, and while it's simliar to AoD, it's not the same.

Pssst, Panda. Remember the SCP Foundation?

70085.jpg?1355539142

scp__containment_is_magic__page_0_by_qua

Did you know D-Class are terminated at the end of the month, or (rarely) have amnesiacs applied to them? Say goodbye to Twilight.

poor twilight. Got demoted to class D and sent to explore scp 087 during exploration IV.

My sympathies. No wonder why it's Data got redacted. Wonder how she died, and how far she made it.

Please... Help... Please...

Did you know D-Class are terminated at the end of the month, or (rarely) have amnesiacs applied to them? Say goodbye to Twilight.

Please...

SCP: Containment Breach spoilers:

Nuh uh. Twilight was abducted by the Chaos Insurgency, eventually rising through the ranks and becoming its ultimate head.