What has odium been doing?

We know (or at least think) that honor was been splintered since the last desolation, which was thousands of years ago. So my question is what took odium so long to start his next desolation. Was he in some type of trap like ruin, or was their another shard like cultivation keeping him in check( if so how did he get around her). Was he casing other desolations on other Roshar system planets. Please tell me your theories, disprove mine, or show me a quote from one of the book that explains everything.

Well, according to the response to Hoid's letter in Words of Radiance, the dragon (someone help me back this up! I'm no good with sources!) says something to the effect of "Honor's death was tragic, but Odium is captured." Specifically:

Rayse is captive. He cannot leave the system he now inhabits. His destructive potential is, therefore, inhibited.

- Epigraph to Chapter 69, "Nothing" p. 817

And this:

Whether this was Tanavast's design or not, millennia have passed without Rayse taking the life of another of the sixteen. While I mourn for the great suffering Rayse has caused, I do not believe we could hope for a better outcome than this.

Epigraph to Chapter 70, "From a Nightmare" p. 828

So, the conclusion I get is that Odium Splintering Honor did something to him that means he can't leave the Greater Roshar system. What that was, your guess is mine.

I don´t think Honor was splintered on the last Desolation. My guess is this event is more recent. Remember that Odiun´s forces lost the last Desolation but the Recreance, somehow gave Odium the upper hand, but not immediately. We have a WoB that Odium has invested a lot on Roshar and is kind of trapped there. Here is the quote:

Phoenix Comicon

When one of the shards, like Odium, move from world to world in the cosmere, does their presence, like the metals they leave behind and their magic, leave with them?

Umm... Odium never really settled on a planet.  He is now settled on Roshar and his magic has permeated things.  Leaving would be very difficult for him.  It would either involve leaving behind some of his power or ripping that out, which would be a difficult process.  So yes it is very tough to leave. 

So, the conclusion I get is that Odium Splintering Honor did something to him that means he can't leave the Greater Roshar system. What that was, your guess is mine.

Or could it be the oathpact that has trapped him?

You know... I've never noticed this before, but the response is pretty specific. Odium has been inhibited, not stopped.

It kind of sounds as if the writer of the response is willing to leave Odium free to wreck Roshar and cause damage int hat solar system, so long as he doesn't get loose to do it elsewhere. Journey before Destination? Better that one planet and it's inhabitants be detsroyed than Odium be loosed on the Cosmere?

...damnation. How bad can Odium be if that's the case? If the 17th Shard (which contains fairly decent men like Demoux and Galladon) are prepared to write off Roshar and it's inhabitants as "acceptable collateral damage"?

Odium is contained, but I would say that if all Roshar would fall and it´s inhabitants were to be considered collateral damage, then Odium would be free to withdraw the investiture he placed there, freeing him to wreak havock across cosmere.

So, my guess is that Odium will have heavy oposition. The return of the Knights Radiant is a proof that something else is moving, not only Odium.

You know... I've never noticed this before, but the response is pretty specific. Odium has been inhibited, not stopped.

It kind of sounds as if the writer of the response is willing to leave Odium free to wreck Roshar and cause damage int hat solar system, so long as he doesn't get loose to do it elsewhere. Journey before Destination? Better that one planet and it's inhabitants be detsroyed than Odium be loosed on the Cosmere?

...damnation. How bad can Odium be if that's the case? If the 17th Shard (which contains fairly decent men like Demoux and Galladon) are prepared to write off Roshar and it's inhabitants as "acceptable collateral damage"?

I'm not sure that Journey before Destination would support that. Wouldn't that more support "we can't sacrifice this planet to lock him here - we have to do things the right way" style of thinking? Maybe not. I think I have a grasp of that ideology and then I start to question myself. Is there a thread that defines that better?

...You are absolutely right. And if you hadn't posted that, I migth have edited it with no one noticing and gotten away with it, you meddling kids.

But yeah, I meant Destination before Journey. "He's tied down there? Great! There are people who might have to suffer his undying shardic wrath? Eh, can't save a cosmos without breaking a few eggs."

...You are absolutely right. And if you hadn't posted that, I migth have edited it with no one noticing and gotten away with it, you meddling kids.

But yeah, I meant Destination before Journey. "He's tied down there? Great! There are people who might have to suffer his undying shardic wrath? Eh, can't save a cosmos without breaking a few eggs."

xD sorry about that. I like thinking of the sixteen as a a carton of eggs now though. A shardic dozen if you will. There are a few broken already anyway, I guess.

It's true that odium is trapped on Roshar, but why had it taken him so long to start destroying things again?

Splintering is apparently an exhausting process. It's possible Odium has spent the last several thousand years recuperating, or else he was just having fun with Taln, or perhaps Honor bound to him to follow through with some sort of contract.

Edited by Moogle

Where is the source that says splintering is exhausting Moogle? I hadn't seen that before. 

It's interesting because Odium managed to splinter 2 shards at the same/similar times on Sel, he splintered Honor, but we have no idea about Cultivation and her state. 

I think his entrapment on Roshar or in the system has everything to do with the Oathpact. I agree that Honor's splintering was after the last Desolation, but before modern day. Could be because of the Recreance causing an imbalance in the Odium/Honor balance of power leading to his splintering... and only now has Odium marshaled his strength to cause the final desolation which will allow him to be free of Roshar and to continue his Shardic splintering/slaughter. 

Why couldn't Honor and Cultivation team up to splinter Odium? 2 Shards v. 1 would seem to be a no brainer...

Also... the 17th Shard aren't the only ones willing to let Roshar burn...

Wit to Dalinar (WoR): "If I have to watch this world crumble and  burn to get what I need, I will do so.With tears yes, but I would let it happen."
Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

Where is the source taht says splintering is exhausting Moogle? I hadn't seen that before.

Here you go:

Question

The next question I have is does Odium have to recover after Shattering a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

It is a difficult process that is very taxing.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

I suspect that the killing of the shard holder is a distinct event from the splintering of a shard.  The shards certainly seemed intact after Vin and Ati went at it, and it seems far less likely Rayse would have gotten both Aona and Skai if he was so debilitated after dealing with just one of them.

It's likely he killed both holders, and then splintered both shards.  I wouldnt be surprised if the effort of splintering two was less than twice the effort of splintering them one at a time.

Speculating on WoB about Rayse being stuck on Braize and "whether or not that was Tanavast's intention", I wonder if Rayse had to invest himself some way in the planet in order to defeat Tanavast, or else it was a consequence of the battle, perhaps something Tanavast did deliberately.  Tanavast could have sacrificed himself to do this, or did it when he realized he was likely to lose. It makes one wonder who provoked the fight in the first place as well. 

• 2 months later...

I don´t think Honor was splintered on the last Desolation. My guess is this event is more recent. Remember that Odiun´s forces lost the last Desolation but the Recreance, somehow gave Odium the upper hand, but not immediately. We have a WoB that Odium has invested a lot on Roshar and is kind of trapped there. Here is the quote:

Phoenix Comicon

When one of the shards, like Odium, move from world to world in the cosmere, does their presence, like the metals they leave behind and their magic, leave with them?

Umm... Odium never really settled on a planet.  He is now settled on Roshar and his magic has permeated things.  Leaving would be very difficult for him.  It would either involve leaving behind some of his power or ripping that out, which would be a difficult process.  So yes it is very tough to leave. 

It's mentioned somewhere in one of the archived interviews that Odium took the steps necessary for Rosharan species to access his magic, and I'm confident that's related to why he's so bound to the Greater Roshar System.   IIRC he's actually resident on Braize so it's a system wide thing.  I'm guessing it had somethng to do with being able to defeat Honor or was a side effect.

• Chaos locked this topic