Titles and Blades

Quiver

Excalibur.

Anduril.

Callandor.

Oathbringer.

Ice.

Let's face it, if there's one fantasy trope that is too awesome to ever die, it's naming weapons. So, I thought I'd open the floor to anyone who has one of those awesome pieces of fantastic engineering; do you have a weapon, or even a title, which you think is awesome?

Edited by Quiver

Since I am a hardcore Legend of Zelda fan, I'm gonna have to put up Master Sword. It just sounds cool. What's even cooler? Calling it The Blade of Evil's Bane. Those translators certainly understood how to make a name freaking epic. 

Off that tangent, I've always thought that Arsteel, even though it's a character's name, would make a great sword name. One of my OCs carries around a Shardblade named Judgement, which I thought was a pretty cool name for a sword. 

On a more comical note, I winced every time I read the last Eragon book because of the name "Tinkledeath". Really, Christopher Paolini? Really? You just took all the awesome of a sword that's pretty much a Shardblade, sucked it out, then threw it into a pigsty. Then set the pigsty on fire. Curse you for all time!

Well, in Game 4 of the Sanderson Elimination, it was pretty awesome being killed by an Awakened Sword named Cuddles. :P

Some of my favorite weapons from fantasies.
Games of Thrones:
Needle
Longclaw
Oathkeeper (I guess Kingdom Hearts works as well with this one)

Wheel of Time
Ashandarei
Justice
Mah'alleinir

The Night Angel Trilogy
Retribution
The Curoch

Kingkiller Chronicle
Folly

and then of course everybody's favorite Blade ever.... Nightblood!

Offhand, I like the sound of (the names of) the swords Durendal and Arondight. The first has been associated with Roland (paladin of Charlemagne) and the second (apparently, although I cannot find a literature source quote which makes me slightly doubt this) with Sir Lancelot.

In the Fated Blades series, there's Tiger on the Mountain (a tachi that protects its wielder; the prime case being a single house surviving a devastating earthquake), Glorious Victory Unsought (a very long sword that punishes an ambitious wielder), and Beautiful Singer (a katana which drives male wielders to madness and eventually, their deaths/doom.)

Edited by Kasimir

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dragnipur wins, hands down. :P

Elric's Stormbringer is pretty badass, too.

In epic literature, we also get Olivier's sword Halteclere, Charlemagne's Joyeuse with the famous relics in its hilt, and Turpin's Almace (Song of Roland) as well as Ogier's Cortana (Ogier li Danois) *.  In the the Norse myths we have Sigurd's sword Gram that becomes Balmung (Siegfried's sword) in the Song of the Nibelungs, and Nothung in Wagner's Ring; or the sorta magic sword Tyrfing that keeps popping up in several stories. Beowulf got Hrunting.

The Norwegian king Magnus Barefoot (1073-1103) is said to have had a sword called Legbiter. :D

* That's what you get for writing a MA thesis about French epics. :)

Edited by Gabriele

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...