There are a few factors your assessment doesn't take into account, though:
1) This guy is already known as a cremhole, meaning he may or may not have done something like this before.
2) If she did "make him feel worthless," as you say, then his reaction was to lash out and insult her, when he could (and should) have left well enough alone. This does not make him out to be a good person.
3) I agree that the slapping thing was wrong, and I wouldn't have demanded an apology; however, saying he would be justified in hitting her is completely wrong and not okay in any context.
4) Saying he "craves your attention and you are giving it to him" implies that she asked for this treatment. Which she absolutely did not.
5) Back to the "made him feel worthless" remark. Look, he began by reducing her lack of enthusiasm at seeing him to her menstrual cycle. That's a tactic commonly used to brush off a woman's emotions, to invalidate her anger or frustration by chalking it up to hormones. Not only that, but he did it as a means of insulting her in front of anyone who was listening. This would be like a woman insulting a man, then brushing it off with "You're a man, you only have like two emotions anyway."
In conclusion, I can see the point you're trying to make, but this guy is not the sort of person who deserves sympathy or to be defended.